When was Weber in Wood Dale IL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug ep

TVWBB Super Fan
Vintage Red Bar-B-Q Kettle on ebay in PA, and the lid vent says Wood Dale IL (not Arlington Heights or Palatine).

Original company address was 100 N Hickory St, Arlington Heights IL. A second plant was opened a few miles west in Palatine in 1958, and manufacturing was consolidated at 200 E Daniels, Palatine IL in 1982.

Anyone seen or have any other grills that say Wood Dale?

Doug,
It must be a pretty early model.
Here is what I fouind in a 1993 article:

"When his invention appeared to be gaining acceptance, he founded the barbecue division of Weber Brothers out in Wood Dale, Ill. It became so successful that in 1960, he bought all the stock and, as sole owner, moved the company first to Arlington Heights, then to larger facilities in Palatine, northwest of Chicago."

Article here:
http://www.seattlepi.com/archives/1993/9302280024.asp

Bill, if your kettle's legs are held into their sockets with thumbscrews, it was probably manufactured before November, 1970.

If there are no holes in the leg sockets for thumbscrews, and your lid vent is stamped "Patent No. 3538906," your kettle was manufactured in the seventies.

Thanks Kevin
There are no thumbscrews and the vent is stamped "Patent No 3538906. Thanks again for the info.

Originally posted by doug ep:
Vintage Red Bar-B-Q Kettle on ebay in PA, and the lid vent says Wood Dale IL (not Arlington Heights or Palatine).

Original company address was 100 N Hickory St, Arlington Heights IL. A second plant was opened a few miles west in Palatine in 1958, and manufacturing was consolidated at 200 E Daniels, Palatine IL in 1982.

Anyone seen or have any other grills that say Wood Dale?

Wait... That auction ended with nobody buying that kettle for $29.99 starting bid
icon_eek.gif

I guess location is everything... but I'd drive an hour or two to pick that up - it's probably very rare with that stamp on it.

Listing said no shipping. I have even emailed him since, and he refuses to ship. I would personally love to have it, so if someone on TVWB would buy it, I would gladly pay a premium to have it shipped to me. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back