When To Replace Grill Grates

Yah, those grates are trash, cast iron and rusted bad. If they were porcelain coated CI, then they are a real hazard. Just pitch them and hit Amazon for a cheap set of stamped stainless grates or solid rod stainless grates.
What makes the coated cast iron a hazard? I've been liking mine

The thing with cast irons is you have to treat them like a cast iron pan..... There is NO reason to ever take them over 400 (350 really) to burn the crud off ---- EVERYTHING scrapes off really easy ~350 --- its foolish to carbonize it onto the grates and THEN have to CHISEL it off. Also swapping grates side to side and flipping them 180 every so often is key --- keep the grease/oil on them and they will never rust. The older 'heavy porcelain' grates were terrible --- too many high heat cycles would crack it and they would just rust away..... The newer CI with a 'thin porcelain' seem to be pretty robust and durable --- I'm still running the original CI grates on my Spirit 200 and the swap&flip keep them going without any rust anywhere. The problem is without burning them out at 500+ is that the grill needs to be cleaned much more often to prevent grease fires, but I'm okay with that to make sure I don't torch any meat anyways.

As far as rod grates ----- 7mm rods are fine, even tho everyone wants the 'big' 9mm ones.... what I've seen that is more important is the spacing between the rods - some of the chineeseir ones save on less bars and bigger spaces - not good. I've also picked up a couple of flipper grills that had rod grates that were 'just barely' deep enough to fit on the ledges -- barely measuring 17.25" in depth - WITH the cross bars right at the ends of the bars!!!! How anyone put up with those for so long is beyond me -- they almost fall into the firebox every time you brush them because the round cross bar is barely on the ledge. Pay attention to the depth - they 'should be' 17.5" - 17.4 OK - 17.3" dicey but probably not an issue --- anything less stay away.

Well said, Jim!

I think a lot of people got turned off by the cast iron when Weber went with the thick porcelain coating that sure was good at peeling off onto your food:sick:. The newer type is definitely better. The best to me, though, is if you can find an ORIGINAL set of Weber uncoated cast iron that has managed to survive. I have maybe two sets. They are even more work to keep seasoned, but the old Weber ones were thick, and I think worth the effort. Even if lightly rusted, they can be restored and reseasoned like a cast iron frying pan.

You can tell if you have one of the really old ones by the Patent # you can see on the bottom right corner of the restored grate on the right:
Cast Iron Restoration.jpeg

Many will say that quality stainless rod grates, at least 7mm and, as you say with adequately tight spacing, will do just as well with a lot less work. I do agree overall. Definitely a lot less work and probably does do just about as well. Still, for me, there is something primal and special about cooking on cast iron :cool:.

IMG_0581.jpg

I see these as summertime grates to be put away in a dry place when it is time to convert to winter grilling with snow, ice, and sleet assaulting my daily driver grill outside.

Back