When to buy brisket for July 4th

I've decided to cook a whole packer brisket for the 4th. Going to try the high heat method from this site. Went to Sams yesterday for some other things and checked to see what they had for briskets and they had an 11 lb choice that looked good but I hesitated and did not buy it because I thought it was 5 days before the 4th and wondered if I should wait on a fresher one. It did have a sell by date of July 9. Should I have gotten it or did I do the right thing? If waiting was right when is the earliest I should buy the brisket for this coming Wednesday. Thanks for any suggestions.

As long as the cryovac is sealed properly with no leaks or pin holes and the meat stays cold, it should be good for at least 30 days past the packing date.

That date is often hard to come by, though. You can always ask someone in the meat dept to check the case, but if all you have is a "sell-by" date the meat should be fine for a week more.

Keep in mind that it's not too unusual to get an odor when FIRST opening a cryovac. If the odor LINGERS very long after removing the meat, discard it.

All that said, I can't imagine having the bbq hobby if I didn't have a big freezer. Sometimes meat just jumps in the cart at the market when the prices are right!

I've had my Canada Day brisket in the fridge for 2 weeks. Kevin K had a brisket post awhile back where he had the brisket in the fridge for 2 months, I checked twice with him that this was actually correct. Key is to keep the temp in the fridge between 34-36f. Oh and it has to be cryovaced.

I usually get my briskie about -3- weeks ahead of time. I toss it in the back of the fridge for -2- weeks and then use the 3rd week for seasoning it up.

Back