When do you retire an old friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg in Utah

TVWBB Pro
DSC_0012.jpg

This is my 1992 OTS. This picture was taken a couple years ago and it isn't quite as pretty anymore.

It has been frozen to the ground, had roofloads of snow fall onto it and it has tipped over a time or two.

It sits kind of funny, not level at all. Worst of all the lid got dinged up and doesn't seal well.

The bowl is solid and the wooden handles are a bonus.
I've pondered ordering a green Performer lid and a new leg kit.

Restore it or retire it?

Just keep cooking on it! It still has many great years left and doesn't need anything new. Everything you mentioned is repairable. Just get some updated pictures and we can walk you through it. It will be as good as new in no time.
icon_smile.gif

As someone mentioned to me on here earlier when asked a similar question...if a grill has been with you that long, it is part of the family and should be kept.
icon_smile.gif

don't replace it, give it a buddy!
Get a new one and use this one when you need extra space for those big cooks when friends and family arrive.
having back-up grills is like having extra ammo when it's needed.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
don't replace it, give it a buddy!
Get a new one and use this one when you need extra space for those big cooks when friends and family arrive.
having back-up grills is like having extra ammo when it's needed.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh it has more than a couple of buddies already.
icon_biggrin.gif

If it still looked as good as it does in that picture I wouldn't be wondering about what to do with it. I'm leaning towards fixing it up.

To everyone's point..everything you describe sounds repairable. Not to mention that Green One Touch (non MasterTouch/Gold) kettles are rare these days. Can you upload a newer pic of it?

mini_smoker.jpg

Here it is standing behind my miniWSM.

You can see how it stands funny. This is still a pretty flattering picture. In person it looks like an old war horse.

I think you need to fix the legs so that the grill is level. But other than that, I'd just keep using it. Most of my Webers have dings. Doesn't effect the cooking. Keep that baby in the rotation.

Bill

I think you should get rid of it. Go ahead and send it to me and I'll make sure that it gets the retirement it deserves!

Looks like the leg sockets are bent askew. You could pull the legs and add some proper sized washers for shims.

Tim

It looks fine. Just get some new legs and it should be all good. I definately would not get a performer lid, you won't be able to hang it on your grill if you get that,

Brian

Well, it is getting a bath right now. Oven Cleaner on the grate and inside the bowl and lid.

Once cleaned up I'll try to figure out what needs to happen with the legs.

The lid is beat up but if I can get it to seal properly it will be as functional as the Blue OTG I've been gawking at on Amazon.

A "refresh" makes more sense at this time than attempting a full restoration.

After using 4 cans of oven cleaner, 3 stainless steel scrub pads, 24 oz of simple green and a half box of Brillo pads I say the following:

1) Use a drip pan under your food.
2) Cleaning often beats an epic battle with crud every x years.
3) The one touch sweepers and center nut get super nasty.
4) I'm gonna take better care of my SS Performer than I did with this OTS.
icon_biggrin.gif

A new cooking grate and one touch system have been ordered.

Wood handles to be refinished.

Some 1" washers will be used in the leg sockets to level the old girl a bit.

Sounds good.

My standard setup is coals on one side, drip pan on the other. I only swap out the drip pan when it looks nasty - some things just drip a tiny bit. Definitely keeps the gunk to a minimum and reduces the risk of a grease fire.

Originally posted by Brian O'Neal I definately would not get a performer lid, you won't be able to hang it on your grill if you get that,

Why is that? I thought Weber made all lids the same so they are interchangeable.
So the performer lids don't have the hook installed on the inside cause they have a lid bale?
That's weird my SJP has the lid bale and it still has a hook like all 18.5" kettles.
If not Greg could do the Kaz Method I tried that on my 06 OTG and it works like a champ!

Tim

Well, here she is all cleaned up. You can see that the lid is rough but boy is it clean.

DSC_0196.jpg

New cooking grate, new one touch, shimmed leg, wooden handles soaked in stain overnight.

DSC_0200.jpg

Every dent and knick in this kettle are from me (or the wind). With some care I may get another decade out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back