When do I pull it?

Curt

TVWBB Fan
My pork, that is.

I'm smoking a couple butts tomorrow. I'll need to refrigerate them to serve on Saturday night.
My question is, should I refrigerate the butts whole and pull them after I warm them on Saturday, or pull them tomorrow night after they're done and just warm the pulled meet later?

Your guidance is most appreciated.

For a number of reasons, pull them when they are done then reheat the pulled meat when it's time to serve.

First, unless you have a Binford Turbo 3000 walk-in refridgemerator, whole unpulled butts are going to take forever to cool to below the danger zone in a standard fridge. And, while they are coming down to a safe temperature, the whole hot butts are radiating heat and raising the temperature of everything else in the fridge. Care for a case of the collywobbles, everyone?

Second, the muscles will separate SO much easier while the meat is hot.

Third, to get the whole unpulled butts back up to pulling temperature after being refridgerated whole (in case you do actually have the Binford 3000 Turbo), you're going to have to go through the long process of reheating the whole still relatively solid mass of the butts back up to pulling temperature. The smaller bundle (Zip Lock, Food Saver, Supperware, etc.) of pulled meat will reheat so much quicker (and allow you to add some sauce, juice, broth, etc.) if you feel you must.

Fourth, with the meat already pulled before you reheat it, gives you one less thing to do and worry about so you might even find some time to enjoy your guests.

HTH

Ken

Take them off, let them rest 30~60 minutes then pull them.

If you're using a finishing sauce, put a little finishing sauce on them along with a sprinkle of rub.

Spread the meat out a bit to aid in cooling. When about room temp then bag/seal then into the frig. Don't put warm bags into the frig or freezer.

Warm about an hour prior to serving.

Curt, I'm in the minority here, but a caterer once told me to avoid pulling the pork until hot and fixing to eat. He freezes whole, as well. Another competitor I met also pointed out the same thing:

***Once pulled, pork quickly loses moisture and flavor***

Now I know that hot meat in the fridge isn't good, but we've never had a problem. We do have an extra fridge, though.

To cool quickly, after carefully removing the bone, lay the butt fat down on a cooling rack over a pan to catch the drippings and lay a piece of plastic wrap over the top. If the butt is kind of big, you could seperate it into two or three pieces, and if cooked right, it might be wanting to come apart, anyway. Take the drippings to seperate and skim off the fat. You'll want to add these back to the butt when reheating.

To reheat, I take the butt and "squish" it into a pan kind of flat with the fat up before putting into the oven at 350. When the meat has gotten pretty warm, I'd then cover with foil to finish heating up. If you took the butts off the pit at the right time, it will easily squish down into the pan and there's no need for apple juice or additional liquid. If in doubt, though, go ahead and put a little something in the pan before foiling. After the bbq is hot, there won't be anything to pulling it, and I'd recommend messing with it as little as possible and covering back up til serving. I can pull with my Bear Claws in less than a minute. If cooked properly, the meat pretty much pulls itself, the fat is rendered so there's very little you'd want to remove, and I'm really just trying to seperate the bark into smaller pieces and mix into the rest.

I don't recommend freezing pork bbq since it loses flavor from freezing. However, you can cool and foodsaver to heat in water after thawing if you like.

What Ken and Travis said regarding refridgeration, but I don't think freezing is a problem either.

I cook pulled pork in bulk. That is, when I smoke, I try and do two or three butts at a time so I always have some in the freezer. I always pull before freezing, but I usually make a finishing sauce of some kind from the drippings and add that to the pulled before freezing.

I used to just put the hot product in a zip-topped bag and throw 'em in the freezer with little regard to heat (I also have two fridges), but after reading some of Kevin Kruger's posts about storage, I've started putting those zip-topped bags in an ice bath prior to sending them to the freezer. I'll have two or three gallon-sized freezer bags of PP and leave the tops open when I set them in the ice bath - making sure the water level is a good inch or two lower than the top of the bag. After cooling down, I zip and store. They can go in the refridgerator or freezer.

I don't think anything's as good as right off the smoker, but I don't find the reheated product to be lacking moisture, flavor or texture. I'm certain it has a bit to do with using the drippings/finishing sauces.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CullenJ:
What Ken and Travis said regarding refridgeration, but I don't think freezing is a problem either.

I cook pulled pork in bulk. That is, when I smoke, I try and do two or three butts at a time so I always have some in the freezer. I always pull before freezing, but I usually make a finishing sauce of some kind from the drippings and add that to the pulled before freezing.

I used to just put the hot product in a zip-topped bag and throw 'em in the freezer with little regard to heat (I also have two fridges), but after reading some of Kevin Kruger's posts about storage, I've started putting those zip-topped bags in an ice bath prior to sending them to the freezer. I'll have two or three gallon-sized freezer bags of PP and leave the tops open when I set them in the ice bath - making sure the water level is a good inch or two lower than the top of the bag. After cooling down, I zip and store. They can go in the refridgerator or freezer.

I don't think anything's as good as right off the smoker, but I don't find the reheated product to be lacking moisture, flavor or texture. I'm certain it has a bit to do with using the drippings/finishing sauces. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cullen, it just seems like pork loses a little something, while brisket maybe not as much flavor lost.

I never mix with a finishing sauce due to so many preferences. You found something most like you wouldn't mind sharing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Cullen, it just seems like pork loses a little something, while brisket maybe not as much flavor lost.

I never mix with a finishing sauce due to so many preferences. You found something most like you wouldn't mind sharing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each to their own, Dave. Variety wouldn't be the spice of life if there weren't enough mixed nuts out there (how's that for a mixed metaphor?).

Lately, I've been foiling my butts using those disposable foil lasagna pans. This way, I get to capture the most drippings. I'm sure you could achieve the same effect by putting it below them as a drip pan.

Anyway, I reserve all the drippings, I do not separate out fat or anything, I just dump it all in a sauce pan. I don't have a set recipe, but I advise to go very light on anything you use. IMO, the idea is to help keep the moisture high without overly affecting the flavor. I might add some chicken broth if I need to (like, if I forget to buy a foil pan and don't collect enough drippings), a little sugar, a little apple cider vinegar, a little soy sauce - something that's going to enhance the savory elements of the PP. Again, I just play with stuff until I like what I have.

I mix the sauce back in at about a 1 TBL of sauce to 1 Cup of PP ratio, give or take. I add a little rub to the bag, mix things up well and let it all cool off.

That's what's been working for me, anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CullenJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:

I never mix with a finishing sauce due to so many preferences. You found something most like you wouldn't mind sharing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each to their own, Dave. Variety wouldn't be the spice of life if there weren't enough mixed nuts out there (how's that for a mixed metaphor?).

Lately, I've been foiling my butts using those disposable foil lasagna pans. This way, I get to capture the most drippings. I'm sure you could achieve the same effect by putting it below them as a drip pan.

Anyway, I reserve all the drippings, I do not separate out fat or anything, I just dump it all in a sauce pan. I don't have a set recipe, but I advise to go very light on anything you use. IMO, the idea is to help keep the moisture high without overly affecting the flavor. I might add some chicken broth if I need to (like, if I forget to buy a foil pan and don't collect enough drippings), a little sugar, a little apple cider vinegar, a little soy sauce - something that's going to enhance the savory elements of the PP. Again, I just play with stuff until I like what I have.

I mix the sauce back in at about a 1 TBL of sauce to 1 Cup of PP ratio, give or take. I add a little rub to the bag, mix things up well and let it all cool off.

That's what's been working for me, anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya, Cullen.

Oh, I wasn't clear, but I meant that I don't mind frozen brisket as much as I do pork, but anyway...I have froze bags before hand when necessary.

So as a "finishing sauce", you don't thin any bbq sauce to add. I gotcha. That's pretty much what I'm already doing, but maybe not adding quite as much as you do. At our family reunion last weekend we just mixed a little chicken broth with a little vinegar and a splash of worchester. It worked ok, but I need to experiment more. I do know that I don't prefer the apple juice base, but most folks don't want it too vinegary tart, either. Is corn syrup a good sweetener to use with it?

I haven't used corn syrup, Dave. Honey is my go-to sweetener for about everything these days. I use molasses on occasion.

Something I've been using a lot lately and like A LOT is Mr. Yoshida's Marinade & Cooking Sauce. The Original Gourmet is the stuff. Just love it.

I'll have to get some. You get it online? What on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bought a monster bottle at Costco.

I'll have to get some. You get it online? What on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bought a monster bottle at Costco. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the input.
I ended up pulling it because it was pretty much pulling itself apart anyway. Sprinkled some rub on it and spritzed it with the baste, and we'll warm it up on Saturday!

Just a FYI:

Pulling right before serving wasn't my idea, nor the caterer who told me that's what you should do.

Just a while ago, I came across the following excerpt quoting the late Kansas City bbq master, Arthur Bryant, in the new Popular Plates BBQ magazine..("across the country with roadfood's Jane and Michael Stern"):

"The late barbecue legend told us that efficiency experts had suggested he pre-slice cooked brisket so he could assemble sandwiches faster. He said, 'Not on your life. The closer to eating that you slice it, the more juicy it will be.' Like others have observed, his thought was especially true for beef but also ensures maximum savor in a pork butt, chicken, and even slabs of ribs."

Uh-uh. Whatever 'maximum savor' is supposed to mean, the quote betrays yet another 'master' who seemingly learned little is all his years of cooking. Sounds like something Paul Kirk might say. (And totally unsurprising that the Stern's would quote this uncritically.)

Whether slicing or pulling can or should be done ahead of time has to do with the cut of meat or poultry and how it will be held or reheated. It is not 'especially true for beef'. It's true for any cut with structural characteristics that lend themselves readily to moisture loss while being sliced hot or during reheating - including but not limited to brisket, chuck, chicken and turkey breast, pork loin and tenderloin - but not to pork shoulder, ribs and and belly, most of the other beef cuts, the dark meat of chicken and turkey, all parts of duck or goose, all lamb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Uh-uh. Whatever 'maximum savor' is supposed to mean, the quote betrays yet another 'master' who seemingly learned little is all his years of cooking. Sounds like something Paul Kirk might say. (And totally unsurprising that the Stern's would quote this uncritically.)

Whether slicing or pulling can or should be done ahead of time has to do with the cut of meat or poultry and how it will be held or reheated. It is not 'especially true for beef'. It's true for any cut with structural characteristics that lend themselves readily to moisture loss while being sliced hot or during reheating - including but not limited to brisket, chuck, chicken and turkey breast, pork loin and tenderloin - but not to pork shoulder, ribs and and belly, most of the other beef cuts, the dark meat of chicken and turkey, all parts of duck or goose, all lamb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool list on what's ok to slice ahead of time, and what's not, but it sounds to me like you agreed with Arthur Bryant.

The "especially with beef, but also with..." part was added by the authors of the magazine......so what's your dig with Arthur Bryant?

I just saw your quotes - and see the Stern's added their own silliness.

I have no issue with Bryant. If he meant brisket only I do agree. (I missed the interior quotes at first reading.)

I always pull before freezing. I put it in the fridge to cool it off, then into foodsaver bags, 4 to a butt. It works well for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I just saw your quotes - and see the Stern's added their own silliness.

I have no issue with Bryant. If he meant brisket only I do agree. (I missed the interior quotes at first reading.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK.

Just wonderin'...Any "legendary pitmasters" you respect, or "not so famous ones" you'd recommend for their cookbooks?

Back