What's your throw-down dish? *****

Unfortunately, most of my stuff is "throw out", not "throw down"
icon_rolleyes.gif

However, I am getting better at the quick cook pork butts. The wife has really liked the last two (which isn't a bad record since I've only done three
icon_biggrin.gif
)... and another one will be going on this Tuesday.

Oh oh, just reviewed my cooking logs... I've only done two high heat pork butts! That increases my success rate immensely
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know if they're my throw down dishes, but the bbq bacon wrapped shrimp and smoked maple fatties are always being requested by the people who have had them.

Great thread! I gotta say that tacos made with chunks of smoked chuck get the most rave reviews...not many have had smoked chuck so it is a bit out of the usual brisket/ribs/chicken bbq etc. A re-smoked Easter ham is also a knock out "This is the best ham I have ever had" was said more than once...in part due to Kevin's long discussion of making your own glaze. Finally, I have not made a Thanksgiving turkey inside in years....

Tri-Tip. Rubbed and Grilled. The first time I had Tri-Tip I knew this was a cut of meat I needed to perfect. I started with the cooking process. Now I have the rub down. I've started working on a sauce.

I've grilled at least 1 every other weekend for the last year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
In my case it's my Chili Verde, which I use smoked butt and usually smoke/roast my tomatillo's and many peppers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nice. I love a good chili verde. Always good with brisket...

I can make a mean piece of toast on the grill.lol.

I have only been cooking with charcoal since this spring so I don't have a go to recipe yet but its really hard to mess up chicken thighs.

My family enjoys pork - butts or ribs go over real well and I do them very well. Unfortunately my most popular dish (and therefore my throw-down dish) is not mine. It's Kari's Apple Baked Beans. It's disheartening that the beans get more honorable mention than my BBQ. I console my self saying that the beans are good because of my pulled pork. Oh well - everyone likes it when there's a BBQ with beans.

I think mine would have to be my chipotle-pineapple wings. Always a huge hit when I make them. For my own personal enjoyment, I think finest the thing I've ever made is the gyros from last wednesday, and my wife agreed its the best thing to ever come out of my kitchen.

Prime Rib on a spit. But I don't think that one is or will ever be a throw down. For sides I would put my Grandmother Kastner's German potato salad and her cole slaw. For the non Germans I would put up my Grandmother Murphy's yellow potato salad. Just a note both my Grandmothers were born in the 1880's. So these are old old school. Glad we were able to keep these dishes still going.

Papa's Murphy's pizza... haven't wrecked one yet
icon_biggrin.gif

other than that, it'd hafta be the babybackribs.

Back