What's On The Menu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonights menu is standing rib roast. I have injected it with red wine mixed with fresh rosemary and thyme, chopped garlic, salt and pepper. I'm also going to cut some slits and put garlic slivers in them. The plan is to start at 475 in the oven for 20 minutes to sear the meat, then finish at 350 in the WSM with a light pecan smoke. While the roast rests, I'm going to make a sauce with pan drippings, beef stock and ****ake mushrooms. I'll post the results. Have a great weekend, everybody. Jim Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]Aaiiieeeeee! I so happy.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>For a moment, I thought the ghost of Justin Wilson had posted!

Have fun with the mudbugs,
Chris

Four, four lb boneless butts are in the fridge since 10 this morning enjoying their rub. I plan to fire them up at six tomorrow am. I keep one and spread out the other three throughout the "hood". The neighbor lady bought these. I get one or more if she buys the meat. Is this a great country or what?
Happy Holiday
SKG

We're going t a friend's house tomorrow, so he's doing all of the smoking. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif But I did get to grill about 50 Ka-Bobs this evening, and they were awesome. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
[qb] What's everyone cooking for the big Holiday weekend? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The trinity-- beef (brisket flat rubbed w/MMSS), pork (spares AND babybacks), and poultry (turkey breast vacuum-marinated overnight in mojo).

Dean, I had boiled crawfish and shrimp twice each this week already, so I needed a break. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I've been using the resources from this site for about a year and only recently discovered the bulletin board. Doh!

Yesterday I mesquite smoked 2 slabs of spareribs using the texas sugarless rub and the KC masterpiece/honey sauce. The texas sugarless rub had a nice bite to it that most others I have tried don't.

Thanks for putting together a great site!

Well after three weeks of straight smoking with one weekend where the fire never died. Monday was the first day with no customers or competitions and we were very happy. Dinner was one of our all time favorites: Ceasar salad, steamed fresh sweet corn, garlic bread, Dungeness crab, 1 1/2" thick Black Angus ribeye rubbed with garlic, fresh cracked black pepper and Kosher salt grilled over charcoal with a hunk of Hickory and Mesquite and then finished with more fresh black pepper and salt. Washed down with a bottle of Ca del solo big house red and watermelon for dessert.

I sure hope ya'll enjoyed today as much as we did,

Mark,
If I make it to Alabama, it would be in Mobile. I can understand that Dreamland Ribs did not travel well. As you note in my post, I said I would stock up on their sauce and eat a few ribs while there. I think it is a combination of fresh off the grill--and the atmosphere of the place that really makes their ribs special. I've brought them home to reheat, but--not the same.

One of these days, I will try Big Bob's, although I truly do not understand all the hoopla about his white sauce--it reminds me of warm ranch dressing--too warm for eating, in my opinion

dale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
[qb] 1 1/2" thick Black Angus ribeye rubbed with garlic, fresh cracked black pepper and Kosher salt grilled over charcoal with a hunk of Hickory and Mesquite and then finished with more fresh black pepper and salt. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Konrad,

The Nebraska boy in me is proud to hear that you keep your steaks simple. Salt and pepper is all I ever use. Same with all my friends and family back in Nebraska. Omaha is beef country, and the idea there is to enjoy the flavor of the BEEF, not the steak sauce, the marinade, the rub, or whatever. I have a bottle of the popular Montreal steak rub -- but I can't bring myself to putting that on a steak. I have no problem using rubs on briskets and tri-tips, and no problem with sauces and marinades either. But for me, because of my upbringing, I'm a purist when it comes to grilled steak. Salt and pepper is all I need. Oh, and nice bottle of Cabernet. And sure, throw in a Dungeness crab, too!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Joe Peterson:
[qb] But for me, because of my upbringing, I'm a purist when it comes to grilled steak. Salt and pepper is all I need. Oh, and nice bottle of Cabernet. And sure, throw in a Dungeness crab, too!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You have crystallized my thoughts exactly...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Joe Peterson:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The Nebraska boy in me is proud to hear that you keep your steaks simple. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well my wonderful bride is from Nebraska and her uncle does raise beef cattle there /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I only wished we lived closer to the mother lode.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>[/QUOTE]Well my wonderful bride is from Nebraska and her uncle does raise beef cattle there /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I only wished we lived closer to the mother lode. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Tell her hello from a former Omaha resident, now living in San Francisco. If you ever head back to Omaha, holler and I'll point you to the good restaurants and steakhouses.

Meanwhile, out here in CA, did you ever get your table at the French Laundry yet?

The French Laundry and the other place in Sacramento are on the list when we head to the big cook-off in Vegas in November.
I'll tell her you said hi.
Go Big Red!

[qb]
Tell her hello from a former Omaha resident, now living in San Francisco. If you ever head back to Omaha, holler and I'll point you to the good restaurants and steakhouses.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I can telll you where not to eat Q in Omaha.

Famous Dave's is not up to the standards of their outlets in the Twin Cities. They undercooked everything except the chicken and even that was still not up to the standards up north. We lived in the Cities for seven years and I've eaten at the FD's in Omaha many times.

Skeeter Barnes undercooks the Brisket and then runs it through a Hobart and even paper thin it is still tough. They cut the Butts into fist size chunks boil it in beer and then smoke it and the ribs are also boiled /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif About the only think they can get half way right is Chicken. They are also scared of Famous Dave's /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The good news is you can drive south of town to http://www.uncleearnies.com/ .

~Konrad

[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Joe Peterson:
[qb]
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I can telll you where not to eat Q in Omaha.

Famous Dave's is not up to the standards of their outlets in the Twin Cities. They undercooked everything except the chicken and even that was still not up to the standards up north. We lived in the Cities for seven years and I've eaten at the FD's in Omaha many times.

Skeeter Barnes undercooks the Brisket and then runs it through a Hobart and even paper thin it is still tough. They cut the Butts into fist size chunks boil it in beer and then smoke it and the ribs are also boiled /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif About the only think they can get half way right is Chicken. They are also scared of Famous Dave's /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The good news is you can drive south of town to http://www.uncleearnies.com/ .

~Konrad [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I haven't been to Dave's yet. I will aviod it.
I still mourn the passing of the Old Mill BBQ. Mason Steinberg knew how to make good restaurant BBQ.

Been to Ernies. He does a great job and is a super nice guy.

Ozark Smoked Meats is right by my house and makes respectable Q. Not amazing, but uathentica and close to home.

i've heard good things about Big Horn Mountain, too. havent' been yet.

For steaks, hit up Gorat's or Johnny's Cafe.

And most importantly, PLEASE visit the legendary Bohemian Cafe. Not fancy, just down home style Slavic grub in a wonderfully unique atmosphere. Get the roast pork loin with dumplings and gravy and kraut. I've been trying to reverse engineer their gravy forvever. I know it has rosemary and paprika and turmeric. What else happens ia mystery to me, but it works. Amazing.

Take care Konrad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back