What's on tap for this weekend???

Rick Angiel

TVWBB Fan
I am trying my first pastrami. After reading all the comments about it, I couldn't resist. I started the process Wednesday evening, and plan on finishing it up on Sunday afternoon.

I've got some sugar maple which is getting serious consideration for a butt here in a few hours. I am about to do conduct a search here on the forum for testimonals on sugar maple and pork.

Does anyone use sugar maple on pork butt?

Well did a small Pork Butt today. A little 4 lber. Put it on at 9am temp 240, pulled from smoker at 6 pm rested til 10 pm. Like they say it won't get done until its ready lol. I have done 10lbers in less time with excellent results. The wait was worth it my son said. That was his treat for making the honor roll again. Tomorrow he gets his ribs and then hes on his own. Sorry no pics this time planning some pics for after easter again.

For Saturday 2 racks of ribs with home made rub and Uncle Dougies Wild Mild sauce.
Sunday is Tri-Tip day.

For me this is a working weekend. A friend of mine is demoing an old Damons restraunt and told me I could have anything that is there. I am snagging a 5 pan warming table, maybe a table/refrigerator. I am not sure 2 of us can man handle it though. A bunch of chrome shelving units and some other misc. stainless items and kitchen stuff.

On the plus side there is a Trader Joes right next door and I will probobly stop in there and pick up a tri tip to cook Sunday. All in all not a bad weekend but I would rather be Q'in.

Edit Forgot to mention about the sugar maple. I have used this many times. It is a very mild wood. I am not sure if you could taste it on a butt. I have used it on ribs many times with different results. I used it when it was pretty green only about 2 weeks after I cut it. Several slabs of ribs had a taste like I poured maple syrup on them. Man were they good. Many subsequent cooks later I haven't been able to duplicate the results. The only thing I can figure it is much stronger flavor wise when green. The other thing to keep in mind is I only use about 2 chunks when smoking. I like other flavors also like apple and oak. Maybe using more chunks will bring the flavor back. I admit I haven't tried that.

If it ever stops snowing... I have two NY strips and some Maine lobster tails to grill up. Gunna top the steaks with Maytag blue cheese and butter. Mmmmmm!
icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by S Whipple:
I've got some sugar maple which is getting serious consideration for a butt here in a few hours. I am about to do conduct a search here on the forum for testimonals on sugar maple and pork.

Does anyone use sugar maple on pork butt?
I use it all the time. Nice mellow flavor, I usually throw in some apple with it. You'll be fine.

OOHHH - so many great ideas. I cooked up 4 butts last weekend, we kep two and gave the others to our neighbors. I may have to think about some steaks for tonight. I am coaching a little league baseball team today, so a long cook was not a possibility. But, the grill is a great alternative.

Our weather in central Florida is supposed to be nice. No rain expected today, and temps around 90. So weather will not be impacting our outdoor activities.

Unfortunetly nothing. I've got too many things going on. Monday I'm going to throw a chuck roast on!

Happy Smoking everyone!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm gioong to try my first brisket. I'm gettin gup at 5:00 am Sunday morning to get everything started. I bought two bags of RO briquettes since I'm out of Kingsford Classic.

I'm brewing an Irish Stout and consuming leftover brisket. Will probably make a chili tomorrow with whatever is left by then.
icon_smile.gif

Rich

I'm doing three racks of babybacks today. I will be using the new Kingsford for the first time as my stash of the real Kingsford has ran out.

Rubbed 4 butts last night with Dizzy Pig's Raging River Rub and sprinkled some Dizzy Dust on them just before I put them on at 6:30 this morning. Using new Kingford and Pecan wood for smoke.

First time using Dizzy Pig products, first time using Pecan Wood and first smoke with New Kingsford.

Keeping fingers crossed everything turns out well.

Originally posted by herb s:

First time using Dizzy Pig products, first time using Pecan Wood and first smoke with New Kingsford.

I have been using Pecan for ribs lately. It's a very nice flavor.

Just pulled the pastrami off the cooker. Started it a little later that expected. I forgot we had baseball practice today. Started firing up the WSM around 4:00 EDT and finally got loaded the meat somewhere around 5:15. Can't wait to try it out! My brother-in-law and a couple of co-workers are curious about it also.

Well - it's official, the pastrami turned out great. There will definitely be a repeat performance. Everyone else who tasted it thought it was better than what they could buy.

Back