What's inside! Everyone wants to know what's inside...

Bruce McClure

TVWBB Fan
Simple question, so then what's the answer? My whole life is in here! In this kitchen baking. What a mess I'm making.

For kudos, tell me where the caption comes from.

This shows me that while super cool, the pizzaque doesn't seem to be a necessary attachment.

Attachments

• 20210621_164712.jpg
    20210621_164712.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210621_170453.jpg
    20210621_170453.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 21
So what was your cooking temp and how long did it take?

It looks really good.
So that pizza is GF as my kiddos are unable to eat wheat. I've been able to keep temp at about 350-370F, adding coals to bring it up to a higher temp for my pizza, which has a thicker, glutenous crust. Took me a while, but I didn't time it. I wanted to avoid burning the bottom like I did last time.

So, I'm still learning this.
  • My pizza was based on dough made fresh at a local grocery and bought this afternoon.
  • The Bride™️ rolled it out to a thickness that was about what we'd get at our local pizza shop.
  • I kept my kettle at about 350-375 for said pizza as last time I burned the hell out of mine (but that was a premade crust).
    • I used one basket of charcoal, adding to it as I saw the need. I'm thinking I didn't have enough heat generated.
  • My pizza took a tremendous amount of time to cook, and was still doughy when I pulled it. I tried to place it directly on the grates to see if I could get any further crisping out of it, and I did...a little.
  • So, am I correct in thinking that I need to push my temperature up to get this dough to cook correctly?
I've got steaks, burgers, etc., down to a science. I can't get this right to save my life. On the positive side, I was successful at controlling temperature and keeping it to where I wanted it to be, even if that wasn't enough to cook my pizza correctly. The videos recommended on temp control were very, very good.

I got an itch to do pizzas a couple of years ago, I’d read something about someone using terra-cotta tiles (think commercial kitchen floors) so, since I’d just done the kitchen floor with said tiles I laid out a bunch of them on the grate.
After a few tries I managed to get a pretty good pie using them. Flash forward a year or two, I fell into a deal on four “Pizzaque” units. Flash forward another two or three years, still have not used either of the two I kept! Weird. I will use them...one of these days...one of these days.
That looks pretty good to me!
I used to let the tiles heat for about twenty minutes before dropping the first pie on. The bottoms got pretty dark fairly quickly, it was fun when the kids were little even making tortilla based pizzas! Just dusted the tile with cornmeal, a buddy was very skeptical but once he saw it in action, he didn’t believe it! Nothing stuck, his dough was really nice too!

Bruce, I don’t know if I’m doing it right or wrong, but I’ve had great reviews so far on my pizza. I keep some coals beneath the stone, but most off to one side, with the stone set off to the other. Probably gets up close to 500 degrees, but I’m reminded that the New Haven shops get higher. (I was weaned onto New Haven apizza.) I would make my own dough and give it a long proofing time if I could, but my partner is so allergic to wheat (not gluten, but the wheat itself) that if I get flour hanging in the air she could have quite a reaction. Local grocery sells Apicella’s dough, and I like their stuffed bread, so we buy that. I roll the dough as thin as I can get it, but it usually fights me and it’s not quite as thin as I’d like, but it’s pretty thin. I put a layer of corn meal on the peel, put the rolled-out dough on top, then assemble the pie. I slide it onto the stone, close the lid and wait, every once in awhile turning it around on the stone. I’m still striking a balance between bottom heat and top heat; I’d like the crust done a little more, but as I mentioned, I’m a New Haven apizza guy (“it’s not burned, it’s char!”). When the coals are burning down (we’re talking about six-eight pizzas we’re making) it takes longer and it feels like I’m fighting to finish them. No complaints yet, though!

(“it’s not burned, it’s char!”).
See, here in lies the problem I have. Last time, I had a crust as black as my kettle, but the pizza was on the stone right over the coals. I suppose the advice here is to get the grill up to that 500, with the coals on one side. Put the pizza on the other and cook. I don't know why I'm having a hard time with this...

Back