what would you recommend for a barbecue newbie?

James Tag

TVWBB Member
Some of the posts of some of our newer members and barbecue first-timers brought up an interesting question: If someone told you that they were going to try their hand at barbecue for the first time, and wanted your recommendation on what meat they should do, what would you suggest?
For a first-timer, I'd tell them to try a pork tenderloin. They're easy to do, and hard to screw up. After they turn out a good piece of meet, they'll have confidence in their abilities and get addicted to barbecue like the rest of us are
icon_wink.gif

I would grill a pork tenderloin, rather than BBQ it. If it was a true low & slow BBQ, I'd advise a small pork butt. It's the most forgiving of all BBQ meats. Temps will vary because new BBQ'ers are always peeking under the lid and overadjusting the vents but as long as the internal gets to about 190 degrees-it's almost impossible to mess up.

I would grill the tenderloin indirect. A butt is very forgiving, but even a small one can be a long cook for a newbie. I guess I would recommend ribs.

Paul

Jost to try a hand at BBQing and not grilling consider chicken wings. they cook fast and are pretty forgiving if they are brined for 6 hours or so.

I agree with Paul G's suggestion of making ribs. I did the BRITU recipe on TVWB for my first cook. My ribs have improved a lot since then, but they were still better than any we'd had at a restaurant.

I would be torn between ribs and butt. Butt is certainly more forgiving, and you generally get it right every time (even if you pull it off 10* early, like I did my first time -- just impatient, I guess). But ribs can be a more impressive first cook, and if you follow the BRITU recipe closely, they're pretty hard to mess up.

A pork butt can take several hours to do, a tenderloin can take 2-3 hrs.
Also, with a butt, you're looking at trimming, doing the rub, doing the mop sauce, then smoking it for several long hours.
With a pork tenderloin, you can take that bad boy out of the package, rub on some black pepper, toss it into the smoker, and two hours later, you have a great product.
It takes less time and fuss and is forgiving of msitakes, which is why I'd recommend it.

Ribs would be another god option.

I'd grill the tenderloin indirect, too.

If s/he was ambitious, I'd say butt. Ribs would be good but I'd probably suggest chicken, low and slow, and don't worry about the skin crisping or anything like that. Just focus on fuel, maintaining temps, smoke, rub. A good-sized chicken will take long enough to learn a good amount about fuel, controlling combustion and temps, controlling ambient weather issues like wind, and what smokewood can do.

Kevin

P.S. Good chicken/dad story, James!

I was shocked the first time I smoked chicken...the skin was terrible, but the meat was the most flavorful I'd ever had....

I'd still go with a butt. Do a long cook, learn how to set temps, still come out with a great product.

So Kevin, why do you suggest chicken? Other than for the learning aspect of it.
From the posts I've read you'd think poultry was harder to get right on a WSM than a brisket. I've only smoked chicken on my old ECB once and did a couple of beer can chickens indirect on my 22.5" kettle. Both times the meat was good but the skin, well, ... it sucked. Tasty but had that rubbery texture. So I've been hesitant to try poultry yet on my WSM. Maybe I should give it a shot. You ain't steered me wrong yet. Would you recommend a higher temp cook, like 350*? Or a true low and slow 240* cook? And why shouldn't I worry about the skin? That always seems to be the issue. I need some guidance.
icon_smile.gif

Rick

I am a new member and my first cook was ribs. They turned out awesome and don't take all day to cook.There are so many good recipies for ribs. And who dosn't like ribs ?

I'd recommend ribs. But then, I love ribs!
icon_biggrin.gif

Relatively short cook
Get to experience the low & slow BBQ method
Get to play with rubs and maybe trimming meat
And don't have the rubbery skin or drying out problems that chicken can have.

Kim,

My first time years ago was a brisket, and it came out really well, but I'd recommend a pork tenderloin or ribs for a first-timer.
The first time I ever did ribs, they came out awesome.
The advantage of doing ribs is that virtually everyone appreciates good barbecued ribs, so you can become a "legend" in a short time
icon_wink.gif

I would say baby back ribs is the way to go for a first timer. They're easier to prep, they cook faster, and they're a bit more forgiving than spares. Baby backs were my first succesful attempt at good Q. I pulled my first butt too early and it was gamey. My first brisket didn't have enough fat cap and it was dry as a bone. My first spares were too big and I pulled them too early so they were kind of tough. The baby backs came out just right and they were so good that it motivated me to keep trying.

My first cook in the WSM was in Oct 2003 and was two 6 to 7 lb pork butts on the top grate and a brisket flat on the bottom. The brisket took about 9 hours and I pulled it at 195*, foiled it and put it in the ice chest. The pork butts took about 11 hours and were pulled at about the same internal temp. and also went in the ice chest.

The pork was pulled and the brisket sliced and both were great.

I probably didn't have enough sense to know that brisket is considered a tough cook. But the meat was tender and moist just like I would have planned it if I had planned anything.

Don't lose your sense of adventure and faith in the WSM and all will be well!
icon_biggrin.gif

My first recommendation would be poultry. Be it brined turkey breasts, drunken chicken, or turkey drumsticks...to name a few.
The first time you smoke something, you really want something EASY and something that will make your mouth say ... (censored).
And don't forget to mention the ABT's !
icon_biggrin.gif

I will go against the grain on this one and tell you to go for the ultimate Q feat. Brisket. Get a fell packer cut and follow Mr. Minion's procedure of smoking it fat side down at 1.5 to 2 hours a pound till 190 (at the flat) then foil, wrap in towels and place in a cooler for 3-4 hours. The result is perfect. Hell, they say if you can Q a brisket you can Q anything....go for the big time from the get go.

Pork butt. After you get thru that, one should have an idea how to keep temps adjusted plus the butts dont mind heat spikes and lows. That was my first cook with the bullet and I learned how to hold temps that night.

Back