What would you pair a turkey with?????

A Kokkinos

Hi to all. Since getting my WSM, I had lots of cooking sessions with it, but usually for food that cooks at same temperatures (225-250 or 300-325) as per the advise of all the kind souls here. We have a big party coming up (30+ people) so a 14-pound turkey will take up one of the grates, and will be cooked at the high temp range. What would you choose for the 2nd grate that is suitable for a party and will not impact the flavor of each cooked meat?

I was thinking about a roast leg of lamb or pork loin. Will it matter that I will be cooking the lamb or pork at the high temp range? I would assume that pork or lamb (about 6 pounds) will cook faster than the turkey so for convenience they will occupy the top grate. Will this affect the turkey flavor? I know, too many newbie questions, but I would definitely like to impress the guests with good flavorful meat. Any advise is more than welcome.

Thanks

Andreas

andreas, I would not worry about it....a little pork or lamb juice on your turkey certainly cant hurt. If your are really concerned, just put the pork/lamb in a foil roasting pan so nothing will drip....though I still think that the drippy goodness would only make the turky better.

Let us know how it goes.

James

Thank you very much. The game plan is for 25th of December noon for about 34 people. The turkey will be about 12 pounds, and I will also smoke a boneless pork loin (4-5 pounds) in order to slice it. The loin will go on the top grate since I expect it to cook much faster than the turkey. A smoked ham will be glazed on the rotisserie of my Summit, and some lamb chops will be grilled as well. I do hope that the meat will be enough and cover all guest preferences as this is the first time we cook for such a large crowd.

Happy holidays to all.

Andreas

Sounds like a great party Andreas. Your menu saounds like you have all the bases covered. And maybe a chance to show off your cooking talent a bit.

Back