What to do with spare rib trimmings?

Use them in beans or other sides for smokey meaty flavor
Cook with the ribs. They're done earlier than the ribs. Snack on them
Freeze a bunch, then make a smoke out of them.

I eat them plus one rib. My wife, daughter, and grandson, eat the ribs but there's always some left over for my lunch the next day.

Like Dave/G, I cook them with the racks and either snack on them later during the cook or just chop them up, sometimes sauce, and serve as appetizer. I like the texture that develops with the thinner pieces.

That's my favorite part. I "sacrifice" myself when friends come over for ribs and eat the trimmings. If only they knew what they were missing. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Question on this topic. When I ask my local butcher to cut my racks to St.Louis style, he always gives me the trimmings and cuts the small rib bone in them horizontally in two places. What is the purpose of that?

This question always gets me as sort of funny.

When you cook a whole rack of spares without trimming St. Louis, etc - you don't have any "trimmings".

So the answer is "cook the parts you cut off to make the racks look pretty along with them and eat them the same way, just separate".

I'll take the smaller cuttings and put in the pan with the beans cooking under the ribs, otherwise the other pieces get the exact same treatment as the rib section.

I've also taken all of those cooked pieces and pulled the meat like I would with butt. Great pulled rib sandwiches. I do this when making more than 4 racks or so.

Guy at a comp one time told me that he uses the tips when cooking up a batch of greens instead of using fatback. He said that he smokes then off and then puts them in the pot while the greens are cooking down. Sounded really good but I've never tried it.

Do people up north even eat greens? Could be just a southern thing.

Russ

Well I'm a Northerner who loves greens and make all types. But I prefer to use back bacon, bacon, salt pork, or/and cracklings etc depending on what I have if I'm going to add it to greens.

But hey if I have some of those extras from a rib cook they have gone in on occasion, but not typically.

Im doing it like Dave...Save up a few trimmings then smoke them...Usually ends up in a bolognese or some sort of meat stew. After the cook have had a well deserved snack
icon_wink.gif

"When I ask my local butcher to cut my racks to St.Louis style, he always gives me the trimmings and cuts the small rib bone in them horizontally in two places." - Sounds a bitt odd to me. I can understand he will sell you the trimmings aswell so he dont loose cash on the deal...But cut the bones in 2? Never herd of that. What size st.Louis do you end up with? Bring him a pic next time. He will gladly just cut the trimmings off.(less work)

i smoke the trimming with a heavy sprinkle of salt and pepper and use them for collard greens,green beans,pinto beans,etc.

Smoke for a few hours (they'll be ready long before the rib racks), chunk up the meat, vacuum seal, and then freeze. This rib meat adds excellent flavor to chili and or a spaghetti sauce.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Will B:
Question on this topic. When I ask my local butcher to cut my racks to St.Louis style, he always gives me the trimmings and cuts the small rib bone in them horizontally in two places. What is the purpose of that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cutting them across is how Chinese spare ribs are cut. Great with black bean sauce. You're paying for the whole rack, even if you have him trim it for you. So he's giving you the whole thing. Nice butcher. Most just toss the trimmings, but still charge you for the whole rack.

I freeze the boneless part, then when I have enough, I grind it into sausage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Heutz:
Smoke for a few hours (they'll be ready long before the rib racks), chunk up the meat, vacuum seal, and then freeze. This rib meat adds excellent flavor to chili and or a spaghetti sauce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spaghetti sauce? Ohhhh, that sounds great. I'm trying that one for sure.

Back