What to do with 10lbs of belly?

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
A few weeks ago I was in the butcher shop and (on a whim) bought 10lbs of pork belly. I was going to make bacon. Well, like I said it's been 3 weeks and no bacon has been made. I guess the reason is that I'm not sure how i'm going to smoke it. I've read the other threads on bacon, but I have reservations. If I "hot" smoke the belly after curing, will the final product be anything like regular bacon?

I assure you that if you hot smoke your belly to 150ish (i can't remember of the top of my head what temp I take it to) and then slice and fry it you will get a bacon much like what you would get commercially, but better since your's won't be pumped full of water. The result is your bacon doesn't shrink down to nothing once fried.

Never thought of confit. Maybe I'll take 5 lbs and do confit and also do 5 lbs of bacon. I don't know if s.o. would appreciate me eating something stored in lard though...I'm supposed to be on a "diet."
icon_rolleyes.gif

Most bacon is hot-smoked. If you Minion the start with a small amount of lit you can milk the resulting slow rise for its smoke potential. I shoot for a top end of 200 and take the bacon to 150.

I agree with the above post. I start out the meat nice and low and slowly ramp it up to 200 then pull the meat at around 150. Best bacon I've ever had. I can't wait for some ripe tomatoes so I can eat BLT's. Right now I have to have close to 20 pounds of belly/jowel bacon in the freezer.

Josh, Kevin, and Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I have finals up until next monday at 8 am...I'm going to do it on Tues. Maybe I'll take some pics and post them.

One question though...won't the lard start to melt and get all gooey above (about) 150?

Phil,

The outside will be a little slick from some melted fat, but on a whole no. You will have a hot, gelatenous, blob of tasty bacon. I love slicing off a bit right off the smoker... oh man I'll tell doing that for the first time was a moment to be remembered.

Good luck and enjoy. Pictures are always great.... I'm guilty of a few bacon photos myself
icon_smile.gif

Josh

And those pics were great, Josh!

Phil, do you mean ('won't the lard start to melt and get all gooey above (about) 150?') the bacon or the confit?

Josh answered the question if you mean the bacon. Making sure the belly is dry and that the pellicle is good before putting it in the smoker results in even smoke adherence during the crtical early stage. Some moisture/fat sweating can occur after the belly warms but as long as you don't go hog wild with the smoker temps it's minimal and the bacon will be at or near ready by that point.

Belly for confit is slow-cooked in lard after it has cured (pork fat isn't 'lard' until it's rendered). You'll need enough lard, melted, to cover the belly (I cut belly into 2x2.5- or 1.5x3-inch pieces before curing). After it's done you cool the contents of the pot then pack the belly into another container and cover it with cooled melted lard and fridge it. For service, deep-fry one piece of belly per serving (yes, just one!) in hot fat (I use a nuetral oil mixed with a little lard) till crispy on the outside and succulent inside. Served atop a pile of, say, shredded kale wilted into caramelized onions and drizzled with a mustard-herb-dried cherry sauce with, perhaps, a couple oven-roasted potato wedges you'll have (you can declare to the s.o.) a true artisan dinner with scarcely more calories than a Happy Meal. (You can schedule an extra jog/bike/swim/whatever for the next day!)

Kevin,

Ya, I meant the bacon. I think I'm going to skip the confit this time and use the whole 10 lbs to make bacon. S.o. likes bacon; she will acquiesce.

I'm pretty clear on the bacon process. Since I don't think I have to worry about C. bot due to the cure, I was thinking of curing and then maybe starting the WSM off real, real cool...maybe putting ice in the pan and only using only 4 or 5 briquettes to start the MM? Maybe put a chunk of hickory on top of each briquette? I'm sure that'd give me a long cool smoke...not cold smoking, but some good smoke absorbtion before the temp gets too high.

how is it possible that after 3 years of reading, talking and salivating over it, I still haven't gotten around to doing bacon? shame on me.

and now pork confit from belly... man. I might just need to go down and buy myself half a berkshire pig.

thanks for the reminder and motivation guys (oh and gals too, just in case rita, jane or keri jump into this thread at some point)
icon_smile.gif

(kevin - been a while. hope things are going well for you...)

Adam,

Follow these instructions...

1) Raise Right or Left hand
icon_confused.gif

2) Briskly Swing
icon_eek.gif

3) Contact Face
icon_mad.gif

4) Be releaved that you've punished yourself long enough
icon_smile.gif

Now that you've been slapped get on that bacon!!!!!!!!

If you can get a berkshire all the better.

If there is one thing that I know for sure.... everyone should make their own bacon, or pay me cashola to make it for them.... now that I think of it don't make your own bacon
icon_razz.gif

Enjoy,
Josh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:

Most bacon is hot-smoked. If you Minion the start with a small amount of lit you can milk the resulting slow rise for its smoke potential. I shoot for a top end of 200 and take the bacon to 150. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

KK, overall how much charcoal do you use in smoking 5-10 lbs of pork belly?

tj-- Though I start with a full chimney's worth (lump) and Minion with a few lit (K'ford) there is some left over when it's finished--so, not much.

Phil-- You could do that--start cool for a bit.

Well, adam, it's about time you returned here. You really need to make your own bacon! Couldn't be easier and, if you wish, you can cross-cut your belly into halves or thirds, flavor a corresponding portion of your base cure differently for each piece of belly, and end up with distinctively different bacon with just one smoke session.

I'm not sure who might have Berks in your area. Old Spots and Tamworths are available though--in Conn and over the line in NY--would make for a nice Saturday drive for the girls if you go and pick it up yourself. Look at Flying Pigs Farm in NY, Cedar Meadow Farm in Conn, and others in NY and Conn as well. Many also raise beef and pastured poultry.

Now, get on it! Time's a-waisting.

(It's been a crummy spring biz-wise. Fuel up, freight rates down. Cook gigs depend on my ability to get to places so those waters have been tepid. Hot new project on the ranch though. Early, but progress has been very good and projections are excellent. If all fallsinto place well (or mostly) that which I've eyed on the horizon will become significantly closer!)

what exactly is in the dry cure for regular bacon<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
A few weeks ago I was in the butcher shop and (on a whim) bought 10lbs of pork belly. I was going to make bacon. Well, like I said it's been 3 weeks and no bacon has been made. I guess the reason is that I'm not sure how i'm going to smoke it. I've read the other threads on bacon, but I have reservations. If I "hot" smoke the belly after curing, will the final product be anything like regular bacon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
how is it possible that after 3 years of reading, talking and salivating over it, I still haven't gotten around to doing bacon? shame on me.

and now pork confit from belly... man. I might just need to go down and buy myself half a berkshire pig.

thanks for the reminder and motivation guys (oh and gals too, just in case rita, jane or keri jump into this thread at some point)
icon_smile.gif

(kevin - been a while. hope things are going well for you...) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. I've had my WSM for a little under two months and I have already done 8 racks of baby back ribs, 4 pork butts, 3 beer can chickens, 4 pounds of beef jerky, a bunch of brats, and right now I have a whole fresh ham brining in the fridge and a 5 pound pork belly curing in the fridge so I can make bacon.

You sir, are slacking!!!
icon_razz.gif

Back