What to do when you screw up and your pizza sticks

The Caputo red bag 00 is called "Chef Flour" and the blue bag is labelled "Pizzeriea"

There's a lot written about which is best for what style of cooking: here is one example.

And, I didn't know what bromate was, so I had to look it up...

Attachments

• 1663017546610.png
    1663017546610.png
    502.8 KB · Views: 0
The Caputo red bag 00 is called "Chef Flour" and the blue bag is labelled "Pizzeriea"

There's a lot written about which is best for what style of cooking: here is one example.

And, I didn't know what bromate was, so I had to look it up...

Well, I'm glad we got that all sorted out. It's just my shorthand when I make up a recipe anyway, like KABF and KAAP.

Fermentation is controlled by temperature and time. Here is a pic from yesterday, when I put the dough in the fridge at about 37F, and just now. I removed the lid to minimize the condensation. The timestamp is in the lower left corner. Not much in the way of yeast growth. Refrigeration retards yeast growth, but the things that create flavor grow at various temps so refrigeration works for creating flavor. But if you can't control the temp between 37F and room temp, what you have is basically an off and on switch for fermentation.

EDIT: No timestamp on the second image...I didn't use the time-lapse software to snap the pic with the webcam, but the clock is still accurate.

cam_1662939442.58.jpgWIN_20220912_14_35_03_Pro.jpg

Joe, about the metal container...I was reading "Best Bread Ever" last night and the author suggests not using metal containers for fermentation (I think). Let me see if I can find what he said.

I've yet to find blue bag anywhere local. I want to try it, but I don't want to spend amazonian high prices.

I use warm water - about 100° and usually add the yeast to the water to make sure it is good before pouring into the flour in the mixer. I may not be mixing enough. I usually only do a few minutes on low until it is a nice dough ball and then another minute or 2 on low. I am running low on the bread flour and I think the next bag is AP.
so long as you have no reason to believe your yeast has gone or is bad, i'd trust it as alive and lower your water temp to cold,either from the fridge or tap, add the yeast and cold water to the mixer and mix to incorporate. then add in half the flour, and mix for two minutes. then let rest for 5 minutes. then add in the remaining flour, salt and oil and mix for 5 minutes or until the dough is forming and wrapping around your dough hook and no longer sticks to the workbowl. usually 5 minutes, on mixer level 3 is good to get a formed and elastic ball.

separate the hook out of the dough and cover the dough with clingwrap and let rise until doubled in size.

then plop the doughball out of the workbowl, apportion into per weight desired balls, cinch each ball and place into a lightly oiled container, seal container and then fridge for at least 24 hours, up to 3 days.

then remove from fridge 3 hours before making pies.

slightly dust the ball as you remove it from your container and then form each pie shell.

And here's an article about final dough temperature if this is of interest. A mixer adds heat to the dough and the goal is to obtain an optimum final dough temperature for the yeast to do their fermentation thing.

NY style pizza making. worth the full watch. and yes, they use metal containers. and caputo Blue bag.
I think, if you look closely, you will see that they are actually using Caputo Nuvola Super Tipo 0, not the blue bag Pizzeria Tipo 00.

Does it really matter? Use whatever you like, have fun, experiment. Be happy.

One other thing...that job of making pizzas is sure not an easy one, is it? It probably doesn't pay all that well, either.

Attachments

• 1663060631472.png
    1663060631472.png
    521.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The semolina that I have is a medium grind, not a fine flour like they use in the video...mine is gritty. My wife is already complaining about all the pizza-making supplies I keep in the freezer so I'm going to stay with parchment paper for the time being, although I had a fail yesterday from the parchment paper being too undersized for the pie. One edge stuck to the unfloured metal peel during launch and caused the distortion and burning in the thinned area of the cornichon. After 31m preheat on HI, the stone was 725F - 740F at launch and the pie cooked in about 3m. I pulled the paper at 2m but I don't think it's really necessary in my case. The paper wasn't scorched too bad.

Attachments

• 20220912_194303.png
    20220912_194303.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220912_181455.png
    20220912_181455.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220912_181614.jpg
    20220912_181614.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 5
It just re-dawned on me that I really like pizza by the slice when going to a pizzeria, way better than ordering a whole pie. When the pizza is reheated you get a very nice thin crispy crust. We just shared the last leftover slice from Sunday that I microwaved for about 20 seconds, and then put in a carbon steel fry pan on low for a few minutes and it came out perfect. I enjoyed it much better than when it came off the grill. It was exactly what I have been trying to do. I doubt it is possible to do on a whole fresh pie.

It just re-dawned on me that I really like pizza by the slice when going to a pizzeria, way better than ordering a whole pie. When the pizza is reheated you get a very nice thin crispy crust. We just shared the last leftover slice from Sunday that I microwaved for about 20 seconds, and then put in a carbon steel fry pan on low for a few minutes and it came out perfect. I enjoyed it much better than when it came off the grill. It was exactly what I have been trying to do. I doubt it is possible to do on a whole fresh pie.
Joe, if you have an air fryer, that's another great way to heat up leftover pizza slices.

Back