What to cook?

Colby R

TVWBB Super Fan
Can't decide what to cook this weekend only cooked ribs on my wsm so far ! What should I do? More ribs, brisket, pork butt, smoke some roasts, or what?

Chicken is so easy I am thinking pork butt and ribs as we'll! That or ribs and roast or brisket I haven't had a fatty so don't know they I'd like it

What's the difference in pork shoulder and pork butt? I think I'll do some ribs and some shoulder or butt

Bought myself some pork spare ribs the last ones were so delicious I had to do it again and so dang simple!

Colby, I'd leave the brisket alone for a bit just until you and that WSM get used to each other. There is a lot of benefit to reading up on brisket cooks and there are a two main methods, low and slow or high heat. Brisket is a great cook but it is probably the most challenging too. :wsm:

What's the difference in pork shoulder and pork butt? I think I'll do some ribs and some shoulder or butt

They are both part of the shoulder. The Butt usually does not have a bone, but shoulder usually does (sometimes called picnic shoulder). There are no real practical differences in cooking method and taste. Just get what looks better! (FYI, the Butt is usually ~30 cents more or so but requires less trimming and no bone, so pound for pound of meat it works out to about the same).

Challenging is my favorite part all aspects of cooking come very easy to me I've done a few briskets on a gas grill that turned out great the only thing keeping me from doing one is the expense !!

They are both part of the shoulder. The Butt usually does not have a bone, but shoulder usually does (sometimes called picnic shoulder). There are no real practical differences in cooking method and taste. Just get what looks better! (FYI, the Butt is usually ~30 cents more or so but requires less trimming and no bone, so pound for pound of meat it works out to about the same).
Um...whole butts have the shoulder blade still in them. You can get boneless butts.

Whole shoulder is the Boston butt (the upper front leg) and the picnic (the lower front leg).

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html

Back