What size clay saucer for the 18.5 WSM (New Model with deep water pan)

KenB

TVWBB Fan
What size clay saucer is used with newer deep water pan? Is the clay saucer used alone and rested on the brackets or does it sit in the foiled water pan?

You could use either a 12" or 14" CS. The 12" would obviously sit deeper in the pan and the 14" would sit up on the rim of the pan ( which is the re-purposed charcoal bowl from a Smokey Joe that has a diameter of just over 14")
When I used mine I always set it in the pan than foiled over the top.

Tim

I use 2 of the 12" saucers sitting in the water bowl. I used to foil the saucers but I have decided it is just as easy to clean the saucers as it is to deal with the messy foil. The saucers work great and I've never wanted to go back to water in the bowl.

I dont ever fill the water pan. it eats up the fuel, if you insist on using it try filling it up 1/4 the way and let it evap 1/2 way through the cook so you get a good bark on it,

I dont ever fill the water pan. it eats up the fuel, if you insist on using it try filling it up 1/4 the way and let it evap 1/2 way through the cook so you get a good bark on it,

Thanks. With temps in 30s I'm going to try w/o a water pan next butt cook. Do you notice big temp swings w/o using water? Do you know if the old water pan is available for purchase?

Thanks. With temps in 30s I'm going to try w/o a water pan next butt cook. Do you notice big temp swings w/o using water? Do you know if the old water pan is available for purchase?

I smoked 3 racks of SLS Ribs and two pork butts last night, with no water. There really isn't a need for it. The WSM holds temp for hours without the swings, just don't open the lid too often. I used "Dizzy Piggy jerk seasoning" for the first time, it was great. make sure you clean the water bowl out the next day, it can get pretty foul if left unchecked.

Back