What;'s everyone cooking (or what did you cook) this weekend?

Pete B

TVWBB Member
Get a late start, have a 3.5 pound chuck roast from Costco) that's just getting started. I'll give it about six hours with medium cherry smoke. The rub was black pepper and a salt-free chipotle spice mix I found online.

Got some Bavaria beer to induce the mandatory "nap while smoking" and I may throw a few chicken breasts on the top rack (WSM) at about 5 (I'm in California).

Also will put the foil pouch with vegetables (mini-portobellos, onion, garlic and 'taters) on the top rack at about 4 (it's 2:15 here, now). Or is that too long (haven't done veggies on the smoker yet).

Cooking the Stogie pot roast myself. Got a 4.5lb chuck at the butcher. This has quickly become my go to meal on the WSM since it always turns out great.

How long do you usually go with it in the WSM? I'm going about six hours unless the internal temps rise faster than I expect them to.

Made some pulled beef pasties, have some pork confit going in the oven right now, set up a gallon crock of veggies into a brine for pickles a week from now, and got my next batch of buckboard bacon in the brine for smoking a week from now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete B:
How long do you usually go with it in the WSM? I'm going about six hours unless the internal temps rise faster than I expect them to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually go about 6 hours on a 3.5lber and 7 to 8 on anything 4.5 to 5.5lbs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brady:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete B:
How long do you usually go with it in the WSM? I'm going about six hours unless the internal temps rise faster than I expect them to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually go about 6 hours on a 3.5lber and 7 to 8 on anything 4.5 to 5.5lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, then I doing it just right. GOt a packet of veggies (Onion, garlic, 'tater, portobellos) on hte top rack, it'll get a couple hours. Gonna be a good Sunday dinna!

Tri-tip steaks

Bought a vacuum bag of tri-tips from Costco. Didn't have time to smoke them, so I cut them up and had tri-tip steaks.

I took a small corned beef flat and "pastramized" it
icon_smile.gif
i rubbed it with white and black pepper, coriander, mustard seeds and paprika and cooked it in the WSM until it was 165 internal (about three hours). I also tossed on a regular fatty and a fatty stuffed with marinaded mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMGP0704-2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMGP0701-2.jpg

Note from Moderator: Changed inline photos to links due to large photo dimensions.

Chicken! and bbq beans. It was my first smoke.

Half the chicken was done with just salt and pepper and turned into smoked chicken salad.

The other was done as basic bbq chicken with a bourbon bbq sauce I made the previous night.

I did a couple of tri-tips, grilled corn and green beans. I also whipped up some killer mac & cheese.

4 butts, totaling 30 lb (15 lb after cooking). 1 1/2 butts for pulled pork sandwich day (today)at the office and the rest for freezing.

4 beer butt chicken, man they came out great. 350 degrees for 1:15 with apple wood for smoke. Two with a pepper garlic rub and two with salt free chicken seasoning.

I did a Stogies pot roast(6lb 7-bone chuck) on the top rack and a meatloaf(3.5lb) on the bottom rack. Both came out very good. Used the Minion method(coffee can in the middle of the unlit coals) for the first time, and it was very easy to control temp. Probably could have gotten away with using the Standard method.

Everybody line up to give me a flogging with a wet noodle.
Saturday I cooked chicken on my (gasp) Kamado. It looked so lonely standing there.
I used a flower pot as the cap to keep the temp low as the pot has a hole in the bottom. The temp dropped down to 175 so had to use the original cap at an angle to finish the chicken. Temp went up to 400 and I pulled it after 1.25 hours. The old girl cooked it up real great. After 36 years she still cooks good.

I did 16# of Pork Spares Sat. w/SLaw and beans. It was 95 degrees out so I smoked up in the AM and hit the in-laws pool with the ribs. Ahhhhh! Splashing around in the heat, get refreshed and go pig out on some of my favorite ribs. Oh everyone else enjoyed it too.

A little side note; when I was preparing the ribs (St.Louis style) I noticed the membrane had been removed for me. I got the ribs at BJ's and this has never been the case before. Has anyone had the membrane removed for them?

Back