What puts a bbq over the edge?

paul js

Some of my q's have definitionly been better than others, but usually cause I somhow goofed up on the cooking time (especially with ribs).

Anyway, and especially with competions, what seems to be the factor that makes one bbq an award winner and another "just" good? We all presumably start out with the best smoke meat we can find. Rubs only go so far as to the final flavor. We all monitor temperature levels closely.

Opinions?

Hey Paul,

There's a lot of practice and time spent learning how to turn in the best possible product a given time. I think one big thing for competition (KCBS at least) is understanding you have one bite, maybe two, to impress the shorts off of the judges. We don't typically eat BBQ that way at least for me. I tend to shovel it in bite after bite, always getting fresh flavors on my tongue. The teams that have figured out how to deliver great flavor with one bite on top of excellently prepared meat do well. I'm still learning and practicing.

As for friends and family, I think you'll discover that you are 10x more critical of your own product then they will ever be. I was disappointed in my last brisket, very disappointed, but the folks eating it were amazed. You could tell they enjoyed it by their body language.

I think that really cold beer can make the BBQ. Every BBQ off the bullet that isnt "great" will beat famous daves any day. Only "bad" bbq I have had is resturant BBQ. (your results may vary the further south you travel)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for friends and family, I think you'll discover that you are 10x more critical of your own product then they will ever be. I was disappointed in my last brisket, very disappointed, but the folks eating it were amazed. You could tell they enjoyed it by their body language. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the truth man!!!

Paul, my guess is that good competitors and good cooks understand how each ingredient and each step in preparation effect the final product. The wonder of the wsm is....good meat (not enhanced) a good rub and fair temp management equals darn good Q. It probably is not championship quality but it is better than many of us were used to.
Personally I enjoy making my own rub and sauces. Most folks enjoy those quality touches much more than standard grocery fare-or at least they convince me that it is better.
The best thing to do is try what the experts teach. Use what works for you.
In the beginning I used water in the pan. I changed to sand and thought that was the best. Over time I learned it was ok for top rack cooking but not so good for me if I used both racks.
The good part is you will enjoy the journey and the Q will continue to get better and more consistent with each cook.

Well said, S.

And though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> [w]e all presumably start out with the best smoke meat we can find. Rubs only go so far as to the final flavor. We all monitor temperature levels closely... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's a combination of these and other factors that make a difference between outstanding Q--your own at home, or in a competition--and merely wonderful Q. Though I much prefer changing rubs and sauces constantly (more fun for me that way--I don't compete), competitors are looking to create a winning profile (the combinaton of the meat, the flavor print, the texture, the look at presentation time) that they can replicate. This can certainly be attempted even if you never wish to compete. And since you can eat all your attempts, it's fun too.

I've never entered any competitions (thought about it once) but of the ones I've experienced... The teams made several (more than 2) briskets, chickens, butts, etc. at once. When they are finished "cooking", the meat is sampled and the best one is submitted for judgement. Only the best for the judges

Yes, 1 or 2 pieces of meat put on the smoker may not be up to par due to various reasons. Steven (what's his name) the Bar-B-Q Bible guy admits they make about 40 pounds of food for each TV show. Only the best looking gets on the tube. You can tell when something doesn't turn out right. He doesn't take a bite of it at the presentation part.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul js:
Anyway, and especially with competions, what seems to be the factor that makes one bbq an award winner and another "just" good? We all presumably start out with the best smoke meat we can find. Rubs only go so far as to the final flavor. We all monitor temperature levels closely.

Opinions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin is right it's about being able replicate the product over and over again. When I post techniques I use they are based on the best way to replicate what I'm looking for.

Rub and sauce are about balance, if the rub has heat then the sauce needs to be sweet to offset the heat. I look for complex flavor prints that would be sweet first then going to spicy and some heat. The texture needs to be tender but mushy at all. Bark is very important so the use of sugar and when you foil and how you hold become very crucial.
That's the easy answer.
icon_wink.gif

Jim

"Rubs and sauce are about balance" Jim Minion

Jim, it is so interesting that you mention balance. I have worked to produce what I like in a Lexington style vinegar based sauce. At least I like it. Also, I have worked to produce a tomato or KC style sauce. It seems to get better...but where I am going with this is often when I use the KC style suace it just overwhelms the meat.

Tonight we had a very good brined and smoked turkey breast.
The lexington sauce did absolutely nothing for the breast and the KC style sauce just overpowered the turkey.

Plain smoked turkey was much better by itself than with my sauces. Turkey breast must be best as is or with a lighter sauce. Something that up till now has eluded me.

Perhaps a simple fruit with pepper....

S
I enjoy a Memphis style sauce I make but is to heavy for poultry and ribs in my opinion, it needs the stronger flavor of beef or pork shoulder to work.

A lexington style sauce is wonderful on pork but like you found does nothing for poultry or beef. I also like a fruit based sauce poultry as long as it has some kick to it but that a personel taste thing. I also like adding acidic fruit juice to tomato based glazes, it kicks them up, gives them a sparkle (cayenne helps to).
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Perhaps a simple fruit with pepper.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For smoked turkey I like fruit too. The last one I did was Morello cherries cooked briefly and pureed with sauteed shallots that had been splashed with wine and mixed with thyme and mustard. A generous addition of cracked green peppercorns finished it. Try something along those lines. I think you'd like it. I much prefer 'unconventional' sauces with fowl, especially turkey. You might too.

Back