What options for burner tube locating/mounting screws?

AndySo

TVWBB Member
I see that the general consensus is that don't try to remove the burner tube mounting/locating screws on the older silvers. I lucked out on getting my hands on two Genesis Golds, one from 2005 and I believe the other is from 2003. The 2005 is the one with the cabinet enclosure. The bottom frame on the 2005 one is pretty rusty and likely unsalvageable. It looks like there is also a significant height difference between the 2003 Gold and the 2005 Gold, but overall width/depth appear to be identical. I'm going to try to get enough salvageable parts off the two to make 1 functional grill out of it.

My problem is that the mounting/locating screws securing the burner tube in both of the fire boxes are screwed/rusted tight enough I can't get the burner tube out from underneath them. Have anyone tried grinding the screws flush and drilling a through hold through the firebox to improvise something? similar to the grease tray rail screws that sometimes get rusted in place? If you can't drill through it, what other options do I have to secure the burner tubes without a screw/bolt/nub to hold it in place?

Andy, I think you should try some more before giving up. Have you used to PB Blaster to help free up the burners? Also doing all you can to clean around and under them as much as possible. I have had luck sometimes using a flat screwdriver to work its way between the buner and the edge of the firebox. Go SLOW and DON'T try hammering or you might crack your firebox.

Also doing all the above and then trying to wiggle the burner - maybe with some help so you do both at the same time.

I would try all this very thoroughly before going to a drilling or other solution.

I will let some others here who have done a lot more grills than me weigh in. I think you will be able to get them out.

Whoa, wait guys, all he needs to do is loosen or remove the manifold to get the tubes out.

Yea I've gotten the manifold out, the problem is the screws were either tightened down too much, or have rusted and expanded so much, that it is "clamping" down on both the inner most and outermost burner tubes, it won't pull out from underneath the screws, on both of the cook boxes.

When he starts talking about cutting the screws off and drilling through the box, I guess I assumed just removing the manifold would be simpler and less invasive.

Andy, wedge a large flat head screwdriver between the end of the tube and the cookbox on the left and pry them out. I have done that many times. They should come out without having to cut or drill anything.

Andy, wedge a large flat head screwdriver between the end of the tube and the cookbox on the left and pry them out. I have done that many times. They should come out without having to cut or drill anything.
I will give that a shot, thanks everyone. I suppose even if all that is left is a small nub, it should be sufficient to keep the burner tubes in place?

Seems like your screws are more than "Sufficient" in holding your burners in place as they are.

You should be able to pry them out with a flat blade screwdriver. Let us know how it goes. Maybe a shot of a penetrating oil and let it sit a while before trying to pry them out.

An update. I ended up taking a cutting wheel to the tube to cut it in half, after that I bent it back and forth until the tube broke and I was able to get more leverage on the tube to wiggle it out from underneath the screw. Now I have another problem, the two manifold bolts are seized tight to the box and are not moving regardless of being soaked in pb blaster for a few days. I took the cutting wheel and cut the bolt flush to the outside and started drilling it out, but its slipping a bit and I am getting into the aluminum a bit. Is there a trick on getting this thing out?

I gently heat the area with a torch. I use a 6 point 7/16 socket and slowly turn the inner bolt heads back and forth. Eventually they loosen

Never once in my life saw them unable to remove the burner. Finding it hard to believe. Recently took my dad's out. Untouched for nearly 30 years and they slid right out

Never once in my life saw them unable to remove the burner. Finding it hard to believe. Recently took my dad's out. Untouched for nearly 30 years and they slid right out
Well that was my reality, I am new at the whole weber rehabbing hobby but I'm pretty mechanically inclined on a lot of other things. My issue with the burner tube is no more since I got it out, my problem now is those damned manifold bolts that refuse to budge.

Try some heat as well....such as propane torch. Otherwise, twist them off and pound them out. Well, no, don't do that. I just wanted to see if Larry was listening. That is what I would do, but if you don't have a spare cook box, you might wind up cracking it.

I've simply drilled them out and then used stainless carriage bolts (heads on the inside) with stainless wing nuts and flat washers

Back