What model?

I know the Flame Check was available on some Genesis 2/3 models as well as the 4000/5000 models.
Might be a one-off or a control panel change along the years.

Jeff
Since Paul is in the UK the flame check might have been a safety requirement there that was not in the US at that time.

There, that explains the flame check and the different control panel that is still all on English!

Refurb should be done by month end and i will share results for sure. Will include:

Strip grill
Re spray metal frame
Sand and treat timber shelf
Sandblast firebox and lid sides
Clean red lid and repaint logo
Paint firebox and sides with high heat paint
Install new 7506 burners
Install new flavour bars
Install new SS GBS cooking grates
Install new thermometer
Install new igniter (replace with spare plate without flame check)
Install new wheels

What's a flame check?
It is a device that will shut off gas flow if there is no flame in the grill. You have to hold it down to light the grill which bypasses the valve and then after a short time, it will heat up and allow unimpeded flow to the burners. It is simply a safety device. It tends to malfunction in short order and caused a lot of trouble for grill owners. Weber soon did away with it.

Do people tend to prefer the old Genesis 1 series to the 1000? If so, why? I could imagine it simply because they're more historic. Since they look so similar and both have the deep box with 13 bars, I'd imagine they must be functionally almost identical.

Functionally, they are the same. The two are like cars where a model gets updates as the years go on. I personally think the wood Genesis 1000 of the early 90's is the best of both worlds. It has the charm of the wood shelves but has updates such as caster wheels and slide bar for the swing tables on the later wood Genesis 1000's. I also think the 1000's have the full bottom wire rack with front and back crossmembers, where the Genesis 1's have a split bottom rack with a single center cross member.

Makes sense. Thank you. I keep learning more and having a better understanding.

Here's one that tempts me but the 160 mile round trip drive is holding me back. Could see myself combining the best of this grill with the best of my 1000-LX and making something truly stunning. But then I already have the 1000 and others will probably come along much closer before long if I really want another project.

Makes sense. Thank you. I keep learning more and having a better understanding.

Here's one that tempts me but the 160 mile round trip drive is holding me back. Could see myself combining the best of this grill with the best of my 1000-LX and making something truly stunning. But then I already have the 1000 and others will probably come along much closer before long if I really want another project.

For $15 I'd be in the car already.

Jeff

Yeah, my guess is there will be a lot available closer to home between now and then. But the guy "selling" it was real sweet. Said he priced it at $15 just because he didn't want someone to claim it and not value it. After we spoke, he said he'd be happy to give it to me. Nice but it's still a very long trip. Good to know he's looking for a good home for it.

Yep, the price of the grill is not the issue. The 160 driving distance is. Time and money.
He will sell it and it will find a new home. It looks to be in pretty darn good shape.

That is some NICE work. You're welcome to drop it off here and I will happily test drive it for you over say the next 5 years or so :D

Back