What model an d year

Looks all summit except for maybe the lid. I beleive it is first generation Summit. But, I don't know if they came with colored lids or not or if that one was swapped on there.

That is a 1st generation Summit model 450. No Genesis there only Summit. They're wonderful performing grills but they have the issue with rusted out fire box at the front. Once it's gone like that they're no bueno. The grates will fit a gen 1 or gen 2 Genesis (not Genius) grill. If it still has the stainless grates it's worth $50 just for the grates IMO. If the fire box is intact maybe $75

I would pay $100 in a flash for that RED first generation Summit! Couple good things: still has thermometer (even if it no longer works) and still has both side trays (aren't they cool?!!!). I think these are SO cool.

As Larry says, the front of the firebox is a BIG problem. I guess I am enough of a dreamer to believe that a solution could be fabricated by a willing sheet metal shop that was inclined to be reasonable. There would be a market for that part, so it could turn into a cottage industry for a run of them. Maybe even Dave Santana would consider it.

You asked about year. Summit first-gen was 1997 to 2002.

Summit 4xx was four-burner.
Summit 6xx was six-burner.

Summit x25 was open cart design, side burner optional, LP or NG.
Summit x50 was closed cart design, side burner optional, LP or NG.
Summit x75 was built-in design, NG only.

Bought my black 2002 Summit 450 in August 2002 for about $1660.

FMhpgng.jpg

Last edited:
As Larry says, the front of the firebox is a BIG problem. I guess I am enough of a dreamer to believe that a solution could be fabricated by a willing sheet metal shop that was inclined to be reasonable.
It's been a long time since I posted these photos...back in 2014, I stayed in a condo on Maui that had ~2008-10 Genesis sidewinders with burned through or scrubbed through fireboxes and they just patched them on the inside with stainless steel. I think it could be done on an old Summit if someone was really motivated. You'd have to make an accurate template so holes for burners could be cut in the right locations.

IMG_1905.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

Chris,
Thanks for posting. That is along the lines of what I was thinking, although I admit I have never seen the inside of a first generation Summit. A simpler reinforcement, even with burner holes, should be less costly than trying to fabricate a perfect replica of the entire front piece. A good design would, I think, be a salable item that could be made in a quantity that might reduce the price further.

well my Summit still sits unused on the front porch while I try to get time to "have at it" but honestly between the Wolf and the Genesis other than not having my much loved side burner I honestly have not missed it

well my Summit still sits unused on the front porch while I try to get time to "have at it" but honestly between the Wolf and the Genesis other than not having my much loved side burner I honestly have not missed it

Larry,
What is the asking price - if you have one? As of next week we will be leaving for Indiana even though we have no address! After I finally get settled I might be interested in coming up there and maybe have a TVWBB “meet” and then bring it home and see what I could come up with.

Larry,
What is the asking price - if you have one? As of next week we will be leaving for Indiana even though we have no address! After I finally get settled I might be interested in coming up there and maybe have a TVWBB “meet” and then bring it home and see what I could come up with.
Well one thing I can tell you is right now it does not have it's grates. They're in my Genesis so in reality this minute it's not worth much more than a few parts like cart, side burner, etc. I even have a blue lid for it LOL

Larry,
I am serious and don't care about the grates since I have a set of Dave's leftover from my crazy comparison. An extra blue lid would be a big plus to me! PM me if you are interested in parting with it.

Back