What kind of Lump are you using?

Brian H.

TVWBB Member
Tried Royal Oak first, then bought some Wicked Good - haven't used anything else since.

What do you normally use and why?

I use Humphrey's Lump most of the time. I can get it locally and it burns as long as the Wicked Good. WG is a great lump but i have to buy online and shipping is steep. Here's ones i have used over the years and all these are good IMO. Some better than others but they all burn good to great.
icon_smile.gif

1) Humphrey's $9.31 20 lb or $17.50 for 40 lb.
2) WickedGood
3) B&B Oak
4) Ozark Oak
5) Royal Oak
6) Lazzari Mesquite
7) Maple Leaf

I use Nature-Glo, which, according to The Naked Whiz, is the food service version of Royal Oak. Why? It's easy to get (sold at a local restaurant supply store) and not too costly (20 pounds is about $8 as I recall).

I have to order Wicked lump online also and that shipping is expensive, but it burns steady and forever. One of these days I need to run over to Atlanta and pick some up - just can't seem to fit the drive into my schedule (plus with the price of gas right now, I do not know how much money I would save).

I am hard pressed to find anything but Cowboy or Royal Oak locally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian H.:
I have to order Wicked lump online also and that shipping is expensive, but it burns steady and forever. One of these days I need to run over to Atlanta and pick some up - just can't seem to fit the drive into my schedule (plus with the price of gas right now, I do not know how much money I would save).

I am hard pressed to find anything but Cowboy or Royal Oak locally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Curious on why you don't like Royal Oak Lump? It doesn't burn quite as long as WG or Humphrey's but it's still a mighty fine lump. I don't use it that much cause it's so expensive here, $11.99 for 20 lbs. Whish i had a Gordon's nearby to get the RO, it's cheap there.
icon_smile.gif

It is not that I dislike Royal Oak (I like it better than Kingsford), it's that I like WG so much. As you said WG lasts longer.
I also think it burns steadier - a more constant temp than RO or Kingsford. To me that is worth the extra shipping costs.

I want to try something else like Humphrey or Ozark Oak - so I want to see what everyone else is using and why. (Of course I have been over to the naked whiz)

I have used mainly what I could get in my locale.

Started with royal Oak, great middle of the road lump, has some wierd pieces in in it sometimes, not a real uniform mix. Good flavor, decent price.

Moved on to big green egg, seemed to be a bit higher quality than the above. More unform peices (size wise). Good flavor, a bit more spendy than Royal Oak.

recently I am on Lazazri mesquite. Decent deal buying 40# bags at my local cash and carry. Better flavor than big green egg and royal oak. Looks like it actually comes from trees as opposed to the other 3 I've tried (big green egg, royal oak and cowboy).

I'm not even going to comment on cowboy lump
icon_frown.gif
, I'd rather my lump peices be at least the size of briquettes, this stuff falls through the grate in my chimney.

All in all I can't tell too much difference between decent lump as far as flavor goes. I can tell some difference when I get a wiff as I first fire it up. The lazzari wins in this catagory for me. It also takes the win for most natural wood, this may not be important to you, but I like to know as much as I can about the origin of the food I stick in my body (or the charcoal it's cooked on in this case).

Anton

I tried Cowboy a while back and didn't care for it. Waited for a while and tried Hump Lump seeing how much Bryan loved it. I will stick with Hump Lump, love it. May try some others later, but Cowboy is out lol.

I'm using Big Green Egg Lump. I like it but mix it with kingsford briquettes because my wife says it's too smokey otherwise.

Aloha!

I use Humphrey Lump. My brother in law brings me it from Pennsylvania for free! You can't beat that!! Although I have to feed him.

It seems to burn long and has very little ash. There's also not too many real small pieces.

MikeZ

Kamado extruded coconut. 1/2 a box burns at 225 for 22 hours. At $12 a box (including shipping), that's $6 in fuel for an overnight, with very little ash.

We don't have too much choice up here in Long Island from what I can tell.

I was happy with Royal Oak. Two weeks ago I found Humphrey's at a local store. Very, very happy with it. Low ash, big pieces, high burn time. A couple of weekends ago I ran a 12 to 14 hour cook (if memory serves me) using only about a third of a bag. I did not refill the ring That's pretty good value.

Anyway I ran out and bought 3 more bags since even Kingsford gets scarce around here in winter.

I have to agree with Jay on the komando. I only got 3 boxes for myself on that last buy. I wish I would have got at least double that.

Hey Jay have you used that grape vine yet?

Back