What is your favorite pork Butt Rub?

Tanner H.

TVWBB Member
Well my first Pork butt turned out really well last weekend with a few hicupps. I am going to smoke 2 butts this weekend. What is your favorite butt rub recipe?

Thanks!!

I'm afraid to me, rubs are like beers. Is there a bad one
icon_smile.gif

Tanner,

HERE is one of my first post from back when I first joined. The rub, also by K Kruger, is what I have been using ever since on both butts and ribs. You can add or subtract with what you have at home or what flavors you prefer.

I keep it relatively simple. I buy the McCormicks "Applewood Rub", dilute it with a bunch of light brown sugar and use that. On pork butt I slather a generous amount of honey mustard on to help it adhere, and sprinkle liberally. Always turns out fantastic.

That's about it.

I stick with the commercial rubs. So many out there that work very well and saves me the time of having to conjur up my own. For pork shoulders I can never go wrong with Bad Byrons Butt Rub, Trim Tabbs Pig Powder or Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust. Really no need for me to look beyond those 3, though every now and then I'll go with Smoking Guns "HOT" for a little more kick.

Ancho powder,garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and chipotle for a bit of heat.

I usually don't premix I just put it on a layer at a time till I think I put enough.

I either use Chris Lilly's pork shoulder or peach pork butt rub recipes if injecting, since they're both good and don't have quite as much salt. Don't have my "non-injecting" rub recipe handy, but other than salt and the usual spices, I feel dark b. sugar and a tad of cumin and Old Bay really help. Different strokes, but thus far, I've been disappointed with commercial rubs for pork butt, probably because most don't have enough chili powder or cumin.

Original Texas BBQ Rub "Grand Champion"

or

Instant Gourmet "Original"

Sorry, it's a tie!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for all of the replies. I have picked up the necessary ingredients to try the first couple rubs recommended. I actually had most of the stuff already on hand. I will let you know how it turns out.

Back