What is the threshold setting used for?

Andrew F

TVWBB Super Fan
Excellent! I have my HM sending texts to my phone! Next question, and I'm feeling really thick about this, what are the threshold setting used for? Are they just "on and off" or are they a "start monitering here" setting?
In the example below; Will my low temp alarm not activate until it hits at least 40? Will the high alarm not "go live" until 200? What will happen to food 3? Will the high alarm not kick on until 200? Or is any positive number "on" and any negative number "off," and it doesn't matter what they actually are.

Excellent! I have my HM sending texts to my phone! Next question, and I'm feeling really thick about this, what are the threshold setting used for? Are they just "on and off" or are they a "start monitering here" setting?
In the example below; Will my low temp alarm not activate until it hits at least 40? Will the high alarm not "go live" until 200? What will happen to food 3? Will the high alarm not kick on until 200? Or is any positive number "on" and any negative number "off," and it doesn't matter what they actually are.

0 replies | 0 view(s)

Today, 06:42 AM

The threshold is the alarm setpoint,when temp is above high threshold or below the low threshold it activates that alarm.

The setpoint setting is to change the the temperature setting of the Heatermeter when that alarm occurs, it is a new temperature setting for the Heatermeter.

Negative reading are the alarm is disabled

0 replies | 0 view(s)

The threshold is the alarm setpoint,when temp is above high threshold or below the low threshold it activates that alarm.

The setpoint setting is to change the the temperature setting of the Heatermeter when that alarm occurs, it is a new temperature setting for the Heatermeter.

Negative reading are the alarm is disabled

Good info here. So in theory you could set an alarm to "kill" the fire when your desired internal temp is reached? You would set the high alarm to (for example) 190 and when it hits that it'll lower the pit's setpoint to 70 degrees so the damper closes and chokes off the fire?

Ok, say I want to smoke at 225. I set my low alarm threshold to 200 and my high alarm threshold to 250. That way it wont alarm until it gets under 200 or over 250. What do I do with "Setpoint" then? Set it at the desired 225?

Ok, say I want to smoke at 225. I set my low alarm threshold to 200 and my high alarm threshold to 250. That way it wont alarm until it gets under 200 or over 250. What do I do with "Setpoint" then? Set it at the desired 225?

I would think putting the setpoint at 225 wouldn't hurt. If you set it at 225 and the pit shoots up to 250+, you would think that you would want the setpoint to be reset back to 225. Something may have inadvertently changed the setpoint and you would want to be certain it's set at 225 (or whatever your desired temp is).

**This is pure speculation and may not be how this works in real life.

Let's say; my pulled pork will be pulled at 205°f, it's been smoking away at 230°f. Once the pulled pork gets to 205, I want to hold it at 170°, until I get home.

The pit is 230 threshold low of 220° and a high of 250°.

The meat probe will have a high threshold of 205° and it's will have the setpoint set to 170°.

So once it reaches 205 the heatermeter will change the pit temperature to 170.

Let's say; my pulled pork will be pulled at 205°f, it's been smoking away at 230°f. Once the pulled pork gets to 205, I want to hold it at 170°, until I get home.

The pit is 230 threshold low of 220° and a high of 250°.

The meat probe will have a high threshold of 205° and it's will have the setpoint set to 170°.

So once it reaches 205 the heatermeter will change the pit temperature to 170.

Got it! Well that is damn handy.
I just couldn't wrap my head around that.

If you want the alarm to simply notify you if the pit is below 200 or over 250 then you leave the setpoint portion blank, then the alarm will simply sound (and/or email/text message will be sent) but wont change the setpoint of the pit.

yes, ramp and hold mode is there now... it will back down the pit to a hold temperature after the trigger temperature for the selected meat probe is achieved. It takes some experience to dial that in though, cause if you trigger too low it may take much longer to reach the target temp in your meat as the pit temps starts to dip.

Back