What is the greatest meal you've ever BBQ'd? Why?

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
Simple question: Share with all of us your most memorable meal to date, made on a WSM. And tell us why it was so great. Include pictures if you got them.

For me, it's gotta be a few racks of St. Louis cut spare ribs that my dad and I made on his WSM last year. He worked and fine tuned the rub and glaze, after many a trial and error for over two years, and turned out a truly fantastic rib. Perfect heat, spice, tenderness and taste. It was like nothing I have ever had before, or since. I wish to hell I would have documented every minor detail in creating these. I haven't even come close, and from what I gather, neither has he, since he's always tweaking his recipe and method. About the only thing consistent is his use of almond wood as a smoke wood. Now that he is catering, he has likely settled on a recipe for consistency sake.

I can't say that these cooks were the greatest, but memorable.... absolutely. My first successful brisket and butt on the wsm: because I can honestly say I had never had good bbq prior to that. Also, I am surrounded by Texans and have managed to satisfy their hankerings for what they miss back in the lone star state.

Gary

I know some you are going to have some crazy meals you've done, but since I haven't been doing it that long I have two.

My first smoke was an overnighter with two butts. I'll remember it because it was so easy after reading all the stuff on this site. And it was good, real gooooood....

I'll also remember my first few racks of ribs because my BIL stopped making ribs after having mine a couple of times.
icon_biggrin.gif

My best cook was just last weekend. I was doing a party for a friend of mine, 40 people. It was my first "public" cook, and the largest crowd too. I did 4 butts and two packers. Everything came out better than it ever had to that point, as well as the chicken wings and ABTS on the kettles. The guests raved about the food, and I did the briskets and wings and ABTS on site, so I could show off a little bit, which was awesome. Food tasted great, which was the biggest concern, and everything finished up at the right time, seems that everything just all fell in to place! I was pretty proud of the spread when it was all laid out.

For all around mouth orgasms, I think it was this weekend. I smoked a chuck (rubbed with Wolfe Bold), smoked for 2 hours with hickory, foiled with onions, garlic, canned tomatoes fresh thyme and a fresh jalapeno till tender. Pulled and served with the defatted juices sliced thin for tacos in flour tortillas along with the last fresh tomato from the garden, a fresh batch of "damn hot peppers" - recipe from Michael Chiarello, romaine, sharp ched. cheese and fresh guac. I have to say, these were the best tacos I have ever had.

I love a good pop quiz.
I'd say my 3rd brisket, because it was my first edible one

I'd say it was my SO's son's graduation party this past summer, for a couple of reasons. One, the food was awesome! Two, did the cook with Ed C. and we had a blast. Three, the amount of food we cooked/how many people we feed. Four, how many complements we received on the meal.

Here are some PICTURES

pretty much anytime I get a rack of ribs cooked right, I'm in heaven. The spares I did in our last comp were just about perfect but I didn't really get to enjoy them since I never feel much like eating after cooking in a comp.

since I've been running my wsm for mere couple of years, I expect my greatest cook to be in the future, however, the first time I did this recipe, I was very, very pleased with the result:

chinatown ribs

Larry, I love the red color of those ribs. They look delicious. And J, I remember that thread on your cook as well. Every time you post something, I start drooling.

My second cook was a couple of butts on the WSM and a couple of Chickens on my gasser along with some lamb sausage and fresh kilbasa. I have been the "family" griller for a long time now but the addition of some smoke has elevated my status to "neighborhood" griller. It was my first attempt with butts and was very satisfying, they were geogeous (sorry no pics)

Back