What is the best dual probe remote thermometer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My telepathic mother has offered to purchase a dual probe remote thermometer for me for XMas.
I think she must've seen the bad press surrounding the bad batch of Mavericks earlier this year (or so)

Can anyone who has purchased an ET73 lately confirm that they are indeed a quality product ?

Also, what is the best dual probe remote (first hand experience, obviously) ?

Thanks for your help (as always).

morgan

Morgan,
I've got a ET-73 and I'm happy with it. I like that it is setup to be used with as a Barbecue thermometer. I don't know if it's the best, but it is good value for the money.

Thanks Chris
I've sent my mum the URL to the $39 ET73
but she won't see it for a few hours. If any of the nightstalkers on this board suggested differently I would send a different link.
Then I have to wait for it to ship from the states after my parents receive it. Then the customs here will slap £10 - £20 on for duties. Arrghg

thanks man
morgan

Morgan, that's the one I like, too. For an instant read thermometer I recommend the thermapen. I don't remember where your mum is, but she can get it in the UK http://www.fluesystems.com/thermometer/info/thermapen_thermometer.htm

Hey, and check out this PRINTING thermometer: "Anritsu AP-810M Printing Thermometer
Measures temperatures -200° C to +1200° C.
The AP-810M printing thermometer is a compact and easy to use instrument with a memory function which allows the user to recall and print the last 100 temperature readings. It prints temperature on demand or automatically at preset intervals of 3, 10 or 30 seconds, 1, 5, 10, 30 or 60 minutes."

Boy, you could really track the ol' cooking temps with this sucker...!

http://www.fluesystems.com/thermometer/printing_thermometer.htm

Morgan, I have an ET-73. I did go through 3 units before I got one the really works as they advertise it, but, there customer service was great!

I would get one of those and feel confident that if it doesn't work right Maverick will stand behind it until you are happy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
Morgan, that's the one I like, too. For an instant read thermometer I recommend the thermapen. I don't remember where your mum is, but she can get it in the UK http://www.fluesystems.com/thermometer/info/thermapen_thermometer.htm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Susan
She's the little old lady from Pasadena.
There are pleny of instant read pens here in
London. I really wanted to be able to sit inside and check the temps, so Amazon/Maverick it is.

And Greg, I've heard that about their support, now lets see how that works across the pond.

thanks for your help.

now I know what time you all get up.

morgan
icon_smile.gif

OK, I just checked out the printing thermometer ... it's just a bit out of my range (and costs more that the WSM!!!) but next time I need to do something other than low and slow (ie cooking in the 1300*C range) I'll consider it.

icon_biggrin.gif

Morgan

Make sure your mother is "careful" with the customs declaration - I think the current limit is about GBP 18 if you buy it yourself and GBP 36 if it is a gift, so anything below that won't attract duty or VAT.
UK Postal import I Hope this helps - just make sure the declaration is completed!

I should ask her to send one for me too (ha ha)

Oh - I think you'll be able to tell when you're in the 1300 C range - it's when the porcelain coating starts to melt!

I got an ET73 a few months ago and it works fine. Sometimes the base unit doesnt send temp updates as frequestly as I would like but I have a feeling they do that to save batteries. I tried keeping my Weber probe on overnight and it is a real time update, well I sucked through a set of batteries in about 15 hours. The ET 73 is a really good and inexpensive dual probe remote. Have no worries!

Thanks James/Chris

ET73 it is.

James,
I've explained the customs declaration to my family before. My brother sent me a set of ceramic knives, put $200 as the value, I would up paying £57 just to recieve them! I'll make sure they put GIFT: £22/$39 on the declaration.

btw: It's really getting cold over here (right James ?) I'm interested in seeing how the WSM performs in chilly weather. Thanksgiving is not far away, and I'm arranging for the day off (first time in the five years living here) wish I could sit back and watch some football too.
icon_smile.gif

Weather seems to be getting milder again - at least it's not warm & wet that's what I hate most in the winter, it should at least have the grace to make us all suggle up.
I've noticed that I use more charcoal doing the dry ribs in the 300 - 350 range but I think wind has more effect - I shelter my WSM well now. Good luck for Thanksgiving (whenever that is). Whatever happened to the American Football on C4 on a Sunday?

I have one and it seems to only have a range of 10 feet or so, as long as the receiver is sitting on a window sil.

I had a wall inbetween and I noticed the temps did not update for 6-8 minutes, so I went outside and the actual temps were 12-15 higher than the receiver was saying.

The instructions do say that it has a 'sleep' feature where the transmitter will not send a signal if there's been no significant change, thus you can't count on getting a new reading every 20-30 seconds (which would be nice).

Because of the sleep feature, it makes it hard to tell if it's working well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James M-B:
Good luck for Thanksgiving (whenever that is). Whatever happened to the American Football on C4 on a Sunday? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanksgiving is a day when we think about how good it is that we didn't buy a ECB! And some other stuff.
Don't know what happened to the late nite football that would consistently wreck my sleep.

morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back