What I learned about Pork Butts this Weekend.

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I learned this weekend that it is really hard to screw up a butt and they are pretty resilient to tempermental fires and bad thermometer readings.

I decided to cook 4 butts for a football party, knowing that I would have too much but would foodsaver the rest. I started the fire around 9pm Friday night. I did Minion method with about 12 lit coals. I rubbed the butts with mustard and then the basic BBQ rub from one of Raichlen's books. Butts were all between 6 and 7 pounds. I decided to go back to water this time instead of the clay pot for no other reason than I was cooking for a crowd and had only done the clay pot once and wanted to make sure I didn't screw it up. Meat went on around 9:30 and about midnite, I went to bed with the temp around 225. Any time I woke up in the night, I would check the temp and it did fall a little to around 190 but I decided to just let it go and worry about it in the morning. Morning comes, I got the heat back up, too high for a while, and around 9, one of the butts was showing 205 so I removed it and wrapped in foil. I probed one of the others and it showed 195. A little while later, I looked again, and it showed 175. Odd. I tried different probes and some would show in the 190s and the others, the ones that came with my ET73, would show in the 170s. I finally decided that the non-Maverick probe was more accurate and just used that. Later, I decided to save some time for later and went to shred the one I had taken off. I determined it wasn't done so I put it back on.

Finally took everything off around 1:30 pm.

Even with the fluctuations of temp and the bad probe readings, it was deemed by my harshest critics, my wife and 17-year old son, as the best I have done to date. The whole crowd just raved about it and couldn't get enough. They especially liked the bark, which I put on a separate plate. I hoped to be able to freeze two of the butts, but only had one left at the end. A successful cook in the end and my Buckeyes beat up on Purdue so a good night for me.

Thanks for listening to my long tale. I do now see some of the problems with the Maverick ET-73. It seems to go haywire about 2/3 of the way through a long cook. Anyone have any other good recommendations for thermos? While I love the smoker temp option, the inaccuracy is killing me.

Bob

I too get inaccuracies with the ET-73... Recently a brisket was at the plateau and started to lose temperature according to the 73.. I just repositioned the food thermo and got a different reading... Now if I could only get the damn thing to work more than 20 feet away without line of sight, it'd be good to go.

I have read the issues with the signal being lost if not line of sight or farther away but the interesting thing for me is that in spite of the other problems I have had, that has not been one of them. I had it upstairs in my room on the other side of the house, a good 50 feet away and had no issue with the signal.

Observations of temperature decreases during a pork butt cook are actually quite common. Also consider the roast is comprised of portions of several muscles-- readings taken in 4 or 5 places with an accurate thermometer will likely result in as many different temps.

I tried to check different places but I think that I got frustrated. I have already told my wife to get me a thermopen for Christmas so hopefully, that won't be an issue in the future.

Actually you don't even need a probe that works at all. If you feel the way the probe goes in--easily or not--you can tell if the butt is ready to remove.

Thermapens are IT though for checking poultry, tri-tip, etc.

Kevin is right.

For butts, a therm isn't really necessary.

You'll know when it's ready.

I have several remote therms (including the ET 73).

They all sit in the bottom of a cabinet drawer.

I'm with Doug, a pork butt is made up of several different muscles with connective tissue and fat. Thus, different temp readings are not uncommon.

John

I have 2 et-73s and never had a problem. Well, just one problem when I fried a probe. My fault. One is 2 years old.

As mentioned earlier that there are several different muscle groups in a butt. so you can get different readings from each muscle. Then you might get the probe stuck in some internal fat. It seems like it never gets done until you move the probe.

Cook more butts and you'll get the feel and won't need a thermometer. Just like learning the feel from a brisket.

Thanks to all of you for your help. And I think the solution is to cook more butts to make sure I can learn when it is really done.

Bob

That is my favorite part of this hobby...eating the "mistakes". My first 3 cooks were "ok" (good so thought at the time as did my guests) but my fourth cook was AMAZING!!

Difference was I only used the meat therm to give me a clue as to when to start checking and only pulled the butts when I could insert the probe into any part of the butt and it felt as though I was probing a bowl of Jello.

The thinner piece got to this point about an hour ahead of the bone end. The Patience paid dividends though and the next time it will not be so hard to wait....

I have the ET-73 as well. I fight with it a little, but on the whole I am pretty happy with it. I like hi/lo alarms.

I also agree with K Kruger that the thermapen is IT. A quick average of a few samples to confirm the finish line simply works. I use it for everything.

I like the digital thermo. I dont care for over cooked pork and I keep an eye on it when it gets to 190 or so taking it off by feel and temp. If it falls completly apart, it was done a little while ago. lol

Back