What have I done ...

Alan T

TVWBB Member
Picked up this Platinum Series II tonight on FB. It's a NG model (which I don't have a hookup for) Overall it's pretty solid.

I feel like I want to restore it, but I'm also wondering if it's worth it. Thoughts?

If not, maybe I'll part it out on here if someone needs parts...IMG_9262.JPGIMG_9264.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like a winner to me. You should be able to get an LP manifold and “spud” for the side burner to convert that grill.

I would keep it and restore it. It looks like it is pretty good condition.
It is in good condition - my concern is about the NG manifold vs LP. The side tables have the paint flaking/peeling. The cart is solid, I'll clean it up and sand. It's missing the bottom rack which is disappointing. It does have the original owner's manual in the binder. Also the previous owner put lava rock on top of the stainless flavorizer bars *facepalm* so they're probably no good. I haven't disassembled to take a look at the condition of the burners.

Awesome Ed!

Alan do you have pics of under the 2 lids.

To post your pics click on the portrait icon next to the 3 dots and drop in the images, they will show bigger and better for us.

Awesome Ed!

Alan do you have pics of under the 2 lids.

To post your pics click on the portrait icon next to the 3 dots and drop in the images, they will show bigger and better for us.
Updated the post, thanks! I'll post some better pics this week when I have some time to take it apart. I need to see about sourcing parts. I would love to locate the bottom rack, but the manifold is going to be the dealbreaker for me if I'm going to restore this for my own use.

That is a nice looking grill. I would definitely keep it. Is it a deep box grill with 13 flavorizer bars? Can you swap the parts you need from the other grill and sell that one?
Gerry

Very cool to see this exchange of parts beginning in mere hours!
Yes, definitely a restorable unit! It may take a little time but, you will get years of enjoyment out of it!

Alan,
Nice find! Twin to mine.
I am sure you have seen my restore but if not here is the link.

Might pick up a few pointers if you do decide to keep it.

Jeff

Nice grill. Maybe even look into getting a NG hookup. Once you go NG you'll never want to go back

Nice grill. Maybe even look into getting a NG hookup. Once you go NG you'll never want to go back
I'm considering it. I wish it had the original bottom rack - not sure where it disappeared to. The seller told me it came from a woman in her 80s. Her husband had passed away and he purchased it new in 1997. It sat in their porch or shed, so overall it's in great shape, save the peeling paint on the side trays, and a chip on the side of the control panel. The guy I bought it from was her realtor and sold it for her. He was asking $100, I talked him down to $90 - I don't think I did too bad since this seems to be a rather rare model. But part me of is also wondering why I decided to take on another restore :ROFLMAO:

Alan,
Nice find! Twin to mine.
I am sure you have seen my restore but if not here is the link.

Might pick up a few pointers if you do decide to keep it.

Jeff
Do you have any idea where to procure that bottom rack or what the part number is? I was coming up empty when doing a search.

That is a nice looking grill. I would definitely keep it. Is it a deep box grill with 13 flavorizer bars? Can you swap the parts you need from the other grill and sell that one?
Gerry
Hi Gerry - sorry I missed your message. Yep, it's a deep box, same as the green Genesis sitting behind it. It has the smoker box installed so it's missing one of the bars and has the shorter grates. I'll take some pics tonight - might pull it apart when I get home and make my decision if I'm going to keep it or pass it along.

Do you have any idea where to procure that bottom rack or what the part number is? I was coming up empty when doing a search.
If you can’t come up with the bottom rack, you could get the appropriate z bars and do a wooden bottom. Run the boards east-west like my old ones, or front to back like the newer ones9BDC2723-FF4E-43B9-9423-04011D13C874.jpeg

OK - so I spent some more time going over the grill today. As luck would have it, I went back and looked at the listing and realized that the grill DID have the bottom rack in the photos and the seller forgot to give it to me, presumably when he was moving it. I reached out to him, he said he forgot it and I went back and picked it up... so the grill is now "complete". I went over the frame and it's solid, just appears to be surface rust that can be scraped, sanded and treated. I did see one spot on the rear leg that didn't look too bad, but it probably should be welded for good measure. Overall it looks really good.

First impressions inside the firebox - the stainless flavorizer bars look great except -- what -- LAVA ROCK? Why! I pulled that crap out pronto...

Burner tubes look great - I did notice that the crossmember was bent a little bit. The middle tube looks like it somehow got pushed too far over from the valve. I slid it back over after I took the photo and it lined up.

I am thinking for a proper restore, I may go the sandblasting route for the side tables, lid sides, and firebox and then high temp paint. I don't personally have a sandblaster, but I know there are some places here locally that do it.

While I like the larger side tables from a practical standpoint for cooking, part of me wishes they were standard wood or durawood slats - they'd be easier to refinish...

Oh - it had the entire owner's manual in mint condition. The plastic binder was definitely very brittle from age. While trying to clean it, part of the Weber logo started to rub off so I just left it alone.

Let me know your thoughts on this one!IMG_9270.JPGIMG_9271.JPGIMG_9272.JPGIMG_9273.JPGIMG_9274.JPGIMG_9275.JPGIMG_9276.JPGIMG_9277.JPGIMG_9278.JPGIMG_9279.jpgIMG_9280.JPG

Last edited:

Back