What grade are Wal-Mart Briskets?

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
The only place near me that has briskets (that I know of) is Wal-Mart. I've only tried making a brisket twice before, and am planning to go for it again this weekend. It is a packer but the only label on the package says "Excel." I've been told to look for USDA Choice, but I do not see that anywhere on the package. I've also heard of "Select" but I also do not see that on the package.

Also, what is the line of dark looking stuff on the point? It's a different color than the rest of the brisket. It must be normal because Chris's instruction on the main page shows the same part too. I would link a picture but I can't seem to do it at work.

If you go to this link, you can see what I'm referring to:

Virtual Brisket

Walmart sells Select meat. Choice is always clearly labeled. Not sure there's a huge difference between Select and Choice brisket. It's the Ribeye meat that's being graded anyway and that's applied to the entire carcass (I think). Point being, if you see the marbling in a Choice ribeye, a Choice brisket is not going to have the same marbling.

I think the dark meat is just the where the point wraps over the flat and you're seeing the end grain of the point.

Well if it's like the Wally World near me, it's probably a no roll select grade but you might luck up & they have a choice grade. No roll, if I understand whats been explained to me, is that the packing house doesn't pay for the USDA guy to stamp it so it ends up being cheaper meat but quality can be varied from select to choice.

Can if anyone confirm if High Heat is the best option for this quality of brisket?

I read the High Heat article on the main page and it seems to advocate that method for the lower quality brisket cuts.

I've done two before and had issues with the flat being tough. But I did low/slow and not HH. Thinking of trying HH this weekend- the directions seem pretty straight forward.

Hi Bryan,

There's no "best option". Both high-heat and "low & slow" methods will work fine with a USDA Select or "no roll" brisket.

In the Brisket - High Temp article, I'm advocating Select or no-roll just because they're so readily available for so many people vs. USDA Choice--the exact situation you find yourself in with Walmart.

Try it high heat and see what you think. Then try it low and slow next time. Or vice versa.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris.

One more question...do you think the HH method produces just as good of a smoke flavor as low/slow?

I would think that the smoke flavor would be less since it's on there a lesser amount of time.

I was thinking of using Pecan wood as I've heard good things about it and brisket. But I know Pecan is a bit milder...wondering if I should do hickory if I go the HH route.

When you add the smoke wood chunks on top of the hot coals at the beginning like I do, you end up applying most of the smoke flavor at the beginning of the cooking process. So it doesn't matter, it seems I get the same smoke flavor either way.

There is such a thing as too much smoke. I like a moderate amount. The HH method as described was good for me. But your mileage may vary, so try it once and add more wood next time if you want more smoek flavor.

I like pecan or oak on brisket and rarely use hickory. When I do, I usually mix it 50/50 with another wood.

Regards,
Chris

Walmart is one of the only places around here where you can find whole packer briskets. I've done several and have never had a problem with them. Another store had choice briskets for $1.99/lb a year or two ago. I did one of those and it turned out great. But when they do have a choice brisket in their meat cooler, lately it is over $60 for the whole thing, so I settle for one from Walmart. I like to cook them high heat, my outcomes have been more consistent that way.

All right you guys have convinced me.

I'm going to HH with my brisket this weekend.

I'm also going to use Pecan chunks and put them all on top per the HH brisket instructions.

Wish me luck!

I recently found a Wal-mart nearby that sells groceries and saw their ungraded brisket and wondered the same thing.

I think it was around $2.50/lb (compares to $4.79/lb for "choice") so I may try the high heat method and see how it turns out.

Neal, I think i got the same thing you did. Its from WalMart and was 2.58 a pound.

I'm gonna try HH and see what happens.

I'm in Austin and the Walmart up on Burnet has Full Packers stamped USDA Choice for 2.19/lb. They also carry Walmart Deli Brisket that isn't stamped- I'm presuming no roll select. I also use Pecan or Oak exclusively and I keep my roommate and girlfriend happy.

Grocery stores in Texas have an amazing selection of briskets. Visited HEB while in Austin in March and was shocked to see the variety of whole packers, flats, split briskets, cooked/sliced briskets. They just went on and on...

Regards,
Chris

I think that's a big difference that helps explain the regional preferences in BBQ. In South Carolina, brisket is hard to come by and it is significantly more expensive than pork butts (about a 1$ per pound more at least).

So the perception, at least, is that east coast people like pork better but maybe alot of it has to due with the low avaiability and high cost of brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Grocery stores in Texas have an amazing selection of briskets. Visited HEB while in Austin in March and was shocked to see the variety of whole packers, flats, split briskets, cooked/sliced briskets. They just went on and on...

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Chris. Thanks for that nugget of info. I'll be sure to look for that selection next time I'm in Austin. It sure beats the brisket selection here in NC!

But on the topic of Walmart briskets, I generally tend to get mine at Walmart because none of the other stores around here stock them. The Walmard briskets are definitely on a par with those that I've gotten from my butcher which is the only other place I can find them -- and he charges a LOT more. I still try to support the butcher, but the difference in brisket cost is just too high.

Rich

Back