What explains the popularity of barbecue today?

It's be said that during the "down economy" that people started investing in their homes, outdoor spaces and things they could do at home with their family....

Edit:
As far as sales go, I think websites like this really influence people like me. I thought a weber kettle would be enough. Then I found this site and coupled with my enjoyment of BBQing/grilling it has sped up timeline of discovering I want a lot more toys. In other words, on my own it would have taken me years to discover some of theses products that I now want.

One last factor is that grilling, unlike many other past times/hobbies, kills the preverbial two birds with one stone. You have to cook, you might as well enjoy it- that encompasses cooking over fire, eating, being outside, etc..

Last edited:
I've been interested in bbq-ing since I saw my Dad & Chums hack an oil drum in half in the mid-70's, and used a can of beer as the basis of their bbq sauce. (Which I still do).
It was their excuse to stand around, drink beer, swear a lot & shoot the breeze. (My first jobs was beer-gopher/black bag tidy-upper. I got to sneak the odd mouthful of beer too). :)
I have always been interested in cooking. (Thanks Mum..RIP).
When I first started Q-ing on my own, my menu was limited, but tasted good. With the advent of global comms, & great websites like TVWBB, my skills have increased numerous fold. And I cannot remember the last time I cooked something that couldn't be eaten. Although it may have looked like a dog's-dinner.
I actually get more pleasure out of the cook than actually eating it. I find it relaxing, and I can turn on the tunes, tinker about with fire & drink beer. (What more can a bloke want?). At just over half a century in years, my formative hobbies aren't really viable, unless I wish to visit the Docs more often. Q-ing is here to stay in this neck of the woods.

Back