What do you use for a charcoal tool/rake?

Tim M.

TVWBB Super Fan
What do some of you folks use to move hot coals if needed? I have been using a small trowel but it seems like I've seen a pic or two of a rake sort of tool?

Thanks!

If it's one or two coals I'll use my tongs like previously mentioned. If it's a lot of coals I'll use a fryer skimmer like this one. It has a long enough handle that it keeps your hands away from the coals and it works great for scooping up previously used coal when starting up again in the chimney. I got mine from a second hand store for about a buck. Works great!

My 16" Tongs that I use to turn/flip the food.
icon_wink.gif

I've got some really cheap metal tongs that are made just for that. Had 'em forever, use 'em every cook, dunno what I'd do without 'em.

I've got some really clunky tongs that I got with a cheap set of bbq tools i got at WM. The fork I threw away almost immediately,the long turner went to Goowill when I bought this. My BIL made this for flipping steaks. While it's never touched a piece of meat,it does wonders in the wood burning oven for pushing coals and logs around!

Tim, I suppose I'm simple. For years I've used a wooden stir stick from Lowes or Home Depot, the size that stirs a 5 gallon bucket of paint. A stick will generally last me a couple of years, as I stab it into the ground after working with the coals to put out the heat on the stick. It works for me. As I said, I guess I'm simple.

I use an old tool that my hubster's dad made at least 50 years ago. Looks sort of like those thingies that the craps table guys use. Also some crummy old bbq tongs and a garden trowel. But I like the homemade gizmo the best!
icon_smile.gif

I have a tool made out of a scrap piece of aluminum (the frame from a furnace filter, actually). It's about 18 inches long, and the end is flattened to form a shallow scoop just big enough to pick up a single briquette.

Back