What do you Like to Mop with?

Edmund Caro

TVWBB Fan
I was wondering if anyone had a good idea for a rib mop? I use apple juice and cider vinegar and my rub. What other mops are good for ribs?

i actually "spritz" mine.

1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup dark rum (with alcohol cooked out.this will then be around 1/4 of a cup)
1/4 cup real maple syrup

i then start to spritz around the 3 hour mark every 30 minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
I've generally gotten away from mopping and spritzing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>David since I don't mop but do spritz,would you care to elaborate on your pro's or con's. Thank's

I never mop, spritz, or anything. The reason I don't is because I think it adds about zero to flavor and that it prolongs cooking (opening the lid + cooling the meat with the mop). I mopped when I first started but quickly quit after I didn't realize a taste difference.

I never mopped or spritzed anything. Once I put the meat on the WSM I'm done. Not saying anything bad about doing it I just never saw a need to mess with it. Remember, everytime you open the lid it adds 15 minutes of cook time.
icon_wink.gif
I do mop when doing the Roadside chicken but that's on the grill.
icon_biggrin.gif

Starting to sound like a broken record but I also do not mop or spritz for the same reason of increased cooking time and little noticeable benefit (IMO)

Clark

I used to stick the sprayer nozzle thru the top vent and spritz a few times.
I am a madman and will try things that others wouldnt dream of. DrSmokinstein.

When I started with the WSM in the summer I spritzed because I thought it was part of the barbeque ritual. Then when I saw the juice just roll off the meat I stopped. I am now mopless and spritzless for that reason and because lifting the lid loses heat and prolongs the cook.

With ribs I usually spritz with a 50/50 mix of apple juice and beer with a shot of Jack Daniels. For beef I mop with a recipe I got from Walter Jetton's LBJ Cook Book.

INGREDIENTS:

* 4 quarts bone stock (beef stock)
* 2 pints Worcestershire Sauce
* 1 pint vinegar
* 1 pint oil
* 3 tablespoons salt
* 3 tablespoons dry mustard
* 3 tablespoons MSG (optional)
* 3 tablespoons paprika
* 2 tablespoons Louisiana Hot Sauce
* 2 tablespoons garlic powder
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 tablespoon ground bay leaf

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand overnight. This mop is applied in large amounts.

I got away from mopping or spritzing unless you want to add heat. I find a good mop with crush red pepper flakes does add heat, but not too much flavor. Save the jack for youself.

I don't think it really adds that much. Paul kirk had a brisket mop recipie that was pretty tasty you could almost use it as a dipping sauce.

I've moved away from mopping or spritzing as well. Used to, but didn't see the benefit and if you're not careful you might wash your rub off.

I do glaze the meat at the end once in a while.

I mop with a 50/50 of oil & cider vinegar with some rub I used on the ribs. I do it to keep the outside of the meat from turning to leather. I start mopping after about 2 hours or when I think the rub has set well onto the ribs.

You guys are blowing away my BBQ notions!

First I thought water kept things moist, then everybody goes waterless.

I thought mopping was essential, but see most don't.

I thought low and slow was the way to go, then I see all the "high-heat" threads!

Foiling is still an ongoing debate!

Next thing you know, people will stop adding smoke wood!!

Anyway, I usually go with some apple juice spritz, although I used Southern Sop on my Mr. Brown butts.

You guys are blowing away my BBQ notions!

First I thought water kept things moist, then everybody goes waterless.

I thought mopping was essential, but see most don't.

I thought low and slow was the way to go, then I see all the "high-heat" threads!

Foiling is still an ongoing debate!

Next thing you know, people will stop adding smoke wood!!

Anyway, I usually go with some apple juice spritz, although I used Southern Sop on my Mr. Brown butts.

I don't use smoke wood much. Some things that I put on my smoker don't require a lot of smoke and I find that the residue built up inside usually gives it a mellow smoke flavor anyway.... sorry : )

Back