What do you know about ABTs?

PeteH

TVWBB Super Fan
Or jalapenos, more precisely. Yesterday I bought a dozen big red japs at a farmers market in dowtown Chicago. Tried a couple late last night for some quick ABTs (no bacon). They were much hotter than what I find with the local Domonicks or Jewel grocery store peppers. The lady at the farm stand pointed to the tiny lines on the skin of the japs - look like stretch marks - and said to look for those lines for hotter peppers. Has anyone ever heard of that before? I've always avoided any marks on the skin figuring that an unblemished pepper would be better. The only other reason for the extra heat may be that since I didn't wrap in bacon (like I usually do) and only filled with cream cheese and cheddar, the peppers were not on the grill for long - does longer cooking dissipate the heat more? Anyways, they tasted great and the extra heat in the peppers was a nice surprise. Love them ABTs!

Peter

Pete,
I read this statement:
"There is no certain way to tell if a pepper is hot by looking at it, although I have heard many, many wife's tales about dark spots, cracks and anything else. But the only sure way to tell is by tasting."

on this site.

Pete, what u got pete was ripe jalapeno's turn red to red orange when ripe, when a pepper is ripe it's at it's hottest point

What do I know about ABTs?

They are delicious!

Only thing I think I know about jalapenos is, there seems to be a hybrid that isn't as hot as what jalapenos used to be. It started to appear on the scene as the jalapeno "poppers" became popular restaurant fare. I notice that if I buy jalapenos in a regular grocery they are milder than if I go to a store that is more hispanic oriented.

This may be obvious, but I will say it anyway...

Remove the seeds and membrane from the inside of a Jalapeno, and it will be MUCH milder.

Some people might not know that there are a lot of different varieties of Jalapenos. Not all have the same level of heat.

Also, how they are grown will affect the heat levels. Plants grown with plenty of water and sun will not be as hot as peppers that are neglected.

Thanks all, for your replies. Yes, I did take the seeds and some membrane out for the cheese filling, but I still liked the fact that these were hotter than what I'd been getting at the grocery store. I'm guessing that the difference is probably a combination of getting fresh, in season, peppers, and not wrapping in bacon and therefore not putting on the grill for so long. I did some more quick ABTs over the weekend (no bacon), and these were also very hot. Next weekend I'll get more and do some proper ABTs with bacon.

Peter

The jalapenos that I grow are too hot. TOO HOT!
I dont know if it is the soil or the strain of pepper but Im talking habanero hot when green.
Not all jalapenos are created equal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
The jalapenos that I grow are too hot. TOO HOT!
I dont know if it is the soil or the strain of pepper but Im talking habanero hot when green.
Not all jalapenos are created equal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed that what ya remove all the core and the seeds that way only the shell remains, no heat in the shell .

I learned that you really have to scrape the inside of the pepper out to get most of the heat out. I use a a oyster shucker and it works perfectly...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Verba:
I learned that you really have to scrape the inside of the pepper out to remove the heat. I use a a oyster shucker and it works perfectly... still enough heat to know your eating a pepper, but mild enough for even children to enjoy.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, went back to the farmers market yesterday for some more jalapenos. Went to the same stand and the farmer warned me that these are hotter than what you find in the grocery store. When I agreed with him he said that the large commercial growers grow a pepper variety that has about an 8,000 scovilles rating, while his variety has a rating of about 80,000. That sounds pretty high (I don't know anything about scovilles), but then again, they were pretty hot.

I'm almost afraid to use these for ABTs for a cookout tomorrow 'cause I know not everyone likes 'hot food', but I figure it'll be good for them in the long run.

Peter

Back