What do you have your WSM on???

The last time we had to replace our AC unit, the AC man had to put down a new (bigger) concrete pad. I kept the old one (about 30" x 30") and stuck it just off the porch in the yard. This is what I use my smoker on. So far, when I have heated up the chimney on it, it has only discolored the concrete. I'm not saying that it wont crack or explode it, I just think that somehow I have been lucky. For the most part I just set the chimney in the dirt (what can I say, it is dry in Texas and water is expensive).

Jack

To avoid any possible concrete problems, why not set down 2 bricks on their long, narrow sides, about 4 inches or so apart, and set the chimney on those? Raising the chimney will also improve the air flow from underneath.

That's what I do Rita - we had the house bricked a few years ago, replacing the old cedar siding, and I straddle two bricks with the chimney.

keeps it off of the concrete, gives some clearance to light under it, and as you said, improves airflow as well. I use newspaper as a starter, and the clearance under the chimney also gives the ash from the paper a way "out".

Last I checked, about 245
icon_smile.gif

Back