What do I need to get going

Colin B.

TVWBB Member
After almost a year of wanting one I was able to afford and order a WSM today. It takes a couple of weeks for the WSM to reach northern Canada but I'm excited. I would like to know what is the best thermonitor to get? As well what do you all find usefull items for your BBQin'?

Here's a good checklist of accessories. If you are speaking of a remote digital thermometer, do a Find here in the forum on the terms "ET-73" and "NU-701" for recent and past discussions of the two most popular.

Colin, I would recomend the ET-73 and a $10 Taylor instant read digital therm to confirm meat internal temp and have a backup. I use it when grilling too.

I like the $10 Taylor Digital Instant read thermometer also. A probe thermometer is also indispensable, remote is nice but the polder will work fine also. You can't have too many thermometers. I have one in the lid, an instant read digital taylor and a polder.

I didn't at first but I now use a lot of the disposable gloves.

I also recommend a large cookie sheet/jelly roll pan. If I am not mistaken cookie sheets don't always have the lip and jelly roll pan's do. Get one with a lip to hold the drippings.

Also get the warehouse size wide aluminum foil. I use a lot.

Back