What did I buy?

SamK

TVWBB Member
Spent $20 on this bad boy through Craigslist today. Came with the OEM cover (in great shape) and a bag of lump so I figured it was a steal even if the grill wasn't usable. Turns out it's in great shape but I'm not totally sure what I've got. The serial is "P" so I know it's from 1993 but what I'm confused about are the holes in the bottom. Is it just before "One Touch" came to be? I'd love to figure out a way to add an ash catcher bucket (sorry if that isn't the correct name) but I just don't know if it's possible with all these holes! They all have the vent covers on the outside fyi.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

vozw.jpg

osyz.jpg

uzy5.jpg

thats a three wheeler and many of us prefer it. great for long smokes. fix the rack/legs and just put a bucket underneath. i use a plastic scoop to get most of the ash out and then a small whisk broom to brush the rest out of the holes. i really find no differance in doing the ash between this and the one touch. its a great find and it will serve you well.
do take care of those wood handles.

Ahhhhh thanks. I get the "three wheeler" thing now! I've only been on this site for a few months but I'd been thinking that a "three wheeler" was some mystical kettle that actually had three tires on the bottom. :)

I think I'm going to order new legs (the ones on it now are pretty banged up and don't stay put. The previous owner had the single leg on upside down and when I flipped it (after posting the above picture) I realized that the leg won't stay in the grill. I'm also going to throw some stain on the handles after I clean 'em up a bit.

Any other suggestions?

just take the legs and clean them with 0000 steel wool. they will clean up nice. also the lower rack. many paint that black. i take a piece of pipe that fits inside the leg, insert it in the leg, hold the leg and hit the pipe with a hammer repeatedly while rotating the leg. this will expand the leg back to its original size. many drill a hole in the leg holder and leg and insert a screw to hold the leg in. i don't bother. if the vents are rotating fine just leave them alone. if they are stuck you can drill or cut the rivets out and use ss bolts nuts and washers. i use panhead machine screws. to make the screws hold the nuts just smash the threads a little and that will hold them enough. if the cooking grate is not to bad then just sand it and keep it lobed with pam. if its bad then get the grate with the flip up sides. right now target is having sales on their stuff so check them out for good prices. i find them for an average of $6.

I also use a plastic scoop to shovel out the ash. I cut the bottom off a half gallon plastic milk carton which works for me... as long as those coals have completely cooled! Having picked up a few kettles around here needing work I found these leg tips at home depot too.

40c1a09f-df6a-44e1-92ab-d92750efbc0e_300.jpg

Great score Sam! I have a 3 wheeler too. I bought an extremely clean 22" OTS ay a yard sale…used it once and sold it. I prefer the control of the 3 vents.

I like it and good buy. I purchased a 1998 off of CL for $20.00. I have found that I can get this grill a lot hotter than my performer and that is one of the reasons I went in search of a used grill. I didn't like getting my performer up in the 700 degree range when cooking pizzas.

Ok next question - right now I cook on a Performer Platinum and smoke on a large WSM and I love using the thermometers. What do yall use on the older kettles? A standalone device inside the grill or do you modify it to add one to the handle?

Ok next question - right now I cook on a Performer Platinum and smoke on a large WSM and I love using the thermometers. What do yall use on the older kettles? A standalone device inside the grill or do you modify it to add one to the handle?

I just put my thermo thru the top vent.

i use a remote thermometer or two depending on what i'm doing. the lids are usually loose enough that run the wires under the lid. just be easy while doing this.

I bought a weber replacement thermo and drilled the center rivet out of the top vent and put the thermo through that hole. Holds the vent in place as well.

Back