What can I expect using an Angle Grinder w/ a Wire Cup Wheel?

Samuel

TVWBB Wizard
I was wondering what could I expect to see using an Angle Grinder with a Wire Cup Brush Wheel on a Firebox and end caps.
If you could post pics of what your results were before and after painting I would appreciate it.
Are the hash marks to excessive when you do this? Does the paint hide the marks?
I have this one made by MIlwaukee:

Attachments

• milwaukee-power-sander-accessories-48-52-5040-64_145.jpg
    milwaukee-power-sander-accessories-48-52-5040-64_145.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thanks Bruce,
I wondered if it might work, I thought the one I had was to abrasive, thus the reason for my question.
I like your referral and the price. Fortunately for me they just opened a Harbor Freight in my home town last month.
Will I need one Brush to do the job or should I buy more then one.

Agree with Bruce. Don't use the Braided one, it's too tough.

Wear gloves, pants and long-sleeve shirt. Closed toed shoes too, no sandals.

Be prepared for those little metal slivers to fling off and stick into your clothes and all over the floor or yard or wherever you are doing the work. It's a mess. If it's a dirty grill, get ready for a TON of dirty dust! I did a couple grills in my garage...then started doing it in driveway, then the backyard....now I only do it way out in the back part of my backyard. It's messy.

Also be prepared to find those little metal slivers pretty much everywhere. Hahaha. They stick on to your clothes then like to drop off randomly inside your house....if they make it into the washing machine they will transfer over to your wife's clothes and she won't like that, ask me how I know!

Good deal! I took some short-cuts with safety a few times this year and paid the price. Didn't wear safety glasses when making one cut in a 2X4 and a very small piece of wood landed in my eye.....couldn't get it out and had to go to the urgent care facility.

I was also using an angle grinder to clean a grate and the grinder popped up off the grate and tore up my forearm.....I wasn't wearing a long-sleeved shirt or jacket so completely unprotected.

Now when I bust out the angle grinder I'm bundled up like the little brother from "A Christmas Story", lol

Yes Kyle,
Safety first. I have heard some horror stories like yours, which is why I invested in my PPE.
I was very fortunate though I have a friend that owns a Welding Supply and he got me all the Miller stuff at cost.

Love the Christmas Story reference......his name is Ralphie
As for eye protection I have found face shield do a more thorough job then the little glasses.......u can even use both. I know it sounds like over kill and we are probably scaring you but I actually use a regular face mask with a respirator over the top of it and a full face shield. The bottom line is the more protected you are the more enjoyable the dirty job will be. It will be over before you know it....and it will be worth it in the end. Hold onto your grinder tight!!! She will grab onto some edges and try to get away from you.......u can push the grinder into corners but again hold on tight. Also buy the drill still wire brush...the kind that is a straight looking blob....use that for hard to reach places with your drill.
Good luck.....now go get em!

Yes Jim,
I had a face shield too, until a month ago, when I left it in the back of my van and it slid around and broke. Just have not got around to replacing it.
I just purchased all of my gear recently so thus the newbie questions. I have yet to use it all thoroughly. Only have used the cut off wheel to cut a couple of bolts so this will be my first attempt use the wire cup brush. Mainly I have been preparing for such a scenario just like this.

Last edited:
Hey, in regard to the long sleeves and jackets and all that, just make sure it is fairly tight fitting. If that wheel comes in contact with a sleeve or shirt, you will find out real quick what that cook box is going through. Been there, done that. I had a 4" x 2" area of road rash on my stomach after my shirt got wound up in the 10,000 rpm angle grinder. And, another suggestion is to use an angle grinder that uses a paddle switch instead of the locking switch. If you ever do get it caught in clothing or you drop it on the ground, you want the power to instantly cease. I have don't the angle grinder dance in my yard a couple times while trying to grab the extension cord to unplug it. It is like trying to avoid a rabid dog.

Looks like a good start, but I would advocate a face shield in addition to your protective glasses. And, of course, a GOOD face mask - not for COVID but to keep aluminum dust and who knows what else out of your lungs. This issue and carelessly inhaling spray paint fumes are probably the two scary things about this hobby. I know I am an accountant tool-user wannabe, but really this is serious stuff. DON'T INHALE that junk! :eek: It can get annoying with all this gear on and the fogged up glasses/masks, but it beats what could happen without it all.

Last edited:
Jim,
I went in search of another face shield and because of this Covid thing they were all gone, in fact there was not a dust mask in sight. I have several masks for covid but I wanted one specifically for dust along with a face shield. However I did find a face shield (Lincoln Omnishield) on Amazon I liked. I may order that when it is all said and done.

OmniShield.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, in regard to the long sleeves and jackets and all that, just make sure it is fairly tight fitting. If that wheel comes in contact with a sleeve or shirt, you will find out real quick what that cook box is going through. Been there, done that. I had a 4" x 2" area of road rash on my stomach after my shirt got wound up in the 10,000 rpm angle grinder. And, another suggestion is to use an angle grinder that uses a paddle switch instead of the locking switch. If you ever do get it caught in clothing or you drop it on the ground, you want the power to instantly cease. I have don't the angle grinder dance in my yard a couple times while trying to grab the extension cord to unplug it. It is like trying to avoid a rabid dog.
Picked up a Dewalt Angle Grinder with a paddle switch like you suggested. I had been eyeballing it for while and it went on sale.
Flexvolt Angle Grinder.png
Your right I did not like the slide switch on my Ridgid very much.
I noticed Dewalt also had one with a trigger switch. Will the paddle be better then the trigger.
I would think they are about the same since you must hold them pressed in order to operate the Angle Grinder

Hey Sam....looks like you are ready to go! The Dewalt is a nice tool.......I have several. You might get a few people mention that a wired plugged in tool will spin at higher RPMS and for a longer period. It just depends if you plan on flipping several grills or just your home grill. I use both a battery operated and a plug in......I use the batt operated unit when I dont need the rabid dog goin' wild to get the job done......I bring the rabid dog plug in unit into the game when I want the game to be over fast!
I just saw your face shield post....That is very similar to the one I use and I love mine. Suit up and lets see some progress!

Picked up a Dewalt Angle Grinder with a paddle switch like you suggested. I had been eyeballing it for while and it went on sale.
View attachment 17419
Your right I did not like the slide switch on my Ridgid very much.
I noticed Dewalt also had one with a trigger switch. Will the paddle be better then the trigger.
I would think they are about the same since you must hold them pressed in order to operate the Angle Grinder
Yah, the paddle and a trigger are about the same thing. I think a trigger might allow a tool to operate at variable speed, but I think angle grinders mostly operate at one speed. The paddle switch is probably more comfortable though.

The Dewalt that I have is corded. I am sure that cordless one will be nice too.

JimV,
I used to have a Milwaukee Corded paddle switch Angle Grinder but I sold it when I went cordless. Probably a mistake on my part. I regret that transaction sometimes

Back