What bbq smoker temperature control unit is the best for the $ ? With WiFi, pit blower fan and meat and pit probes.

Unable to get replacement parts for stoker so I need advice on other units
I would be interested in this also. In researching this in the past I have found it very confusing and many different opinions. The Flameboss 400 did stand out as a self contained wifi unit with an app on the phone, and varied mounting options. But I have never used any, so take it with a grain of salt.

I use Signals with Billows but have mixed feelings about it. The Signals itself works wonderfully and I use it all the time for temp monitoring. The fan on the other hand I started out loving it but the more I use it the more I hate it. Something about the fan just can't control temps without either shooting WAY over or staying too low, usually over. I tend to blame the updates only because I honestly have no idea why it is so hard for me to lock down how to use this thing after all this time. One time it works great and the next it won't keep temperature even close and since Thermoworks updates it pretty constantly it's the only thing I can figure for the inconsistency.

I will add that my original model broke within a year and when I called Thermoworks about it they sent me an entire new unit with probes and all and said keep the original. The only thing that went out was one of the probe plugs with the rest working just fine but they still sent me a brand new one no questions asked. I was very impressed with the customer service.

Hi Steve,

A ex - Rocks BBQ Stoker user here too. I moved over to the Thermoworks Signals and Billows. Has been working as desired. No issues. AND, I reused the bowl on the Billows.

Bob

If anyone is interested, I have two Stoker systems I will be putting up for sale this weekend.

An original white box with two 5cfm fans, and several metal plug probes.

I also have a second gen white box with two 10cfm fans, probes, and four new, never-used probes, mounts and misc. parts.

I’ll be photographing them and testing them before I list them.

Last edited:
Hi Russ,

John's setting up is almost exactly as I have. I reused the bowl. It allows all 4 vent openings to be used rather than just a single opening.
Note : on the 22 1/2" WSM, there are 4 opening on each vent wheel.

Interesting, so you have all vents open while using the Billows? I was under the impression I should be closing the bottom vents while leaving only the single vent in use by the Billows and the top vent open.

Russ, there are three daisy wheel vents on a WSM. On each vent there are 4 holes. What Bob is referring to is the 4 holes in a single vent that the dog bowl covers.

The standard Billows mount uses 1 hole of the 4 holes on a single vent. The other 3 holes are taped over.

And the other two vents should be closed.

I see, that makes more sense now. That is how mine currently runs. Thought maybe I had stumbled on to why mine is so inconsistent at maintaining temps.

Russ -- tell us more about your set up and use. There's a bunch of Billows users on here, so maybe we could ID your problem. Seems like most people have a pretty good experience with Billows.

Top vent is generally open 100% unless its a windy day. Bottom vents are closed except the one where the billows is installed which only has the single hole for the billows open, the other two holes are taped with the thermal tape it comes with. I thought it might be too many leaks in the body or lid so I got everything as straight and tight as I could which seemed to help some. It still seems like its over shooting too often. Once it gets near the target temp the fan goes on and off which I suppose is normal but it continues to do it up to target temp which adds to the overshoot.

Top vent is generally open 100% unless its a windy day.

This could be your problem.

FYI, the Billows instructions say to start with the top vent 1/8th open and adjust from there. 100% open top vent is SOP when running manually, but not recommended for ATCs. On my 18 WSM, the top vent is always 25% or less with the Billows -- regardless of the temp I'm cooking at.

The Billows also seems to work better with more coals lit up. Instructions recommend 1/2 to 3/4 chimney lit -- so like 50-75 coals. When I do a manual Minion I only light 10-15 for low/slow.

Interesting. I must have missed the part of the exhaust vent being partially closed. Thought maybe I had an older version that didn't say that but sure enough it does. When lighting I use a loof lighter to light a 2-3 spots of the pile. It works out to be about a half a chimney so that probably isn't it. I'll start the next smoke with the upper adjusted to see how it works out. If nothing else it gives me an excuse to smoke something! Thanks for the tips.

Following along as well. My stoker is starting to die. It's been a solid 12 years though.

I have had my eye on the fireboard. Any thoughts?

I am currently using the Thermoworks Smoke X and Billows - works great for me. I need to get a dog bowl attachment thingee to make the billows get on and off. Thats my only complaint. It holds temp great without. I usually have my top vent about 1/4 open.

Back