What are you using for rubs?

I usually make my own from a couple of generic recipes I've found (and tweaked), or from any of the Wolfe Rub recipes. From time to time I'll try commercial rubs, but haven't found one I'd use exclusively. And I have tossed together the last bits from several different rubs to make "kitchen sink" rub, just to get rid of all those nearly-empty containers in the pantry. The danger of that is if you happen to hit on the greatest rub you ever made, there's no way to duplicate it. :rolleyes:

My problem with most commercial rubs of any sort is that they are WAY to salty. So far I haven't found a commercial rub that isn't to salty. While I have high blood pressure, I like salt, but to much is just not good. Would love to find some that weren't overly salty. While we need salt in cooking, moderation would help. Just my 2 cents worth.

I use a lot of desert heat, which is a wing rub they use at Buffalo Wild Wings. If you add it just prior to eating you get the heat but if you do it pre cook it really mellows. I love it on chicken, fish (just a little) and ribs.

Other times I mainly make my own

For chicken,I like Webers Kickin' Chicken.
For ribs,either Stubbs chile-lime or Weber's classic BBQ.
For butts,I've used the McCormick bbq rub. Pammi didn't like it,so I won't use it anymore. I do like Bad Byron's Butt Rub and I did a butt earlier this year with the Weber's classic bbq.
For brisket,Pammi will only let me use Steven raichlen's coffe rub. It's pretty yummy!
I've tried making my own rubs before and Pammi hasn't cared for them,so that's why I use premade stuff.

For chicken,I like Webers Kickin' Chicken.
For ribs,either Stubbs chile-lime or Weber's classic BBQ.
For butts,I've used the McCormick bbq rub. Pammi didn't like it,so I won't use it anymore. I do like Bad Byron's Butt Rub and I did a butt earlier this year with the Weber's classic bbq.
For brisket,Pammi will only let me use Steven raichlen's coffe rub. It's pretty yummy!
I've tried making my own rubs before and Pammi hasn't cared for them,so that's why I use premade stuff.

Kicken Chicken is where it's at! I love that stuff. Use it on ribs chicken and pork.:wsm:

Last edited:
Sucklebusters Hog Waller , Hoochie Mama , and Competition rub , for store brands . But mostly use my own that I have developed .

One of the first rubs I ever tried was Wild Willy's out of the Jamieson's Smoke & Spice book. I like it so much I try to keep a good sized baggie on hand. I've used it on pork, chicken & beef, and found that it works best of the pork & beef. Birds have too delicate a taste, and the seasoning overwhelms it. I've tried to vary the sugar & salt content on a few batches also. Something else I've discovered is that you can sort of test how a rub will taste after cooking if you put a bit into a skillet and add some meat fat to it. Cook it briefly, taste, and then cook it more. Repeat. Often, you can find out where the stuff begins to turn nasty before you put a good dose on your meat.

Thank you all!!!

Thanks everyone for all the information. Now I have so many leads I don't know where to start. Ha!!! I'm probably going to start of getting some Plowboys Yardbird rub. I have a bunch Bass Pro Shops gift certificates to use up. So it won't cost me a dime. :cool:

Back