What are you smoking this weekend?

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Allright. Christmas is behind us. I was "fortunate" enough to have to run to the store yesterday morning for a couple last minute dinner items. I happened to find Baby Backs on sale, so I grabbed a couple racks. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Not sure yet, I'm going to pick up a tri tip or two for a little xmas get together on sunday, I may pick up a flat for our new years eve party while I'm out.

2 tri-tips yesterday, got a 9 pound butt on right now, just started rising after stalling out at 155, now at 168. Its been on since 10pm last night, wont be long.

I'm smoking a 6 lb bone-in pork butt today. It's about 30 degrees outside, but the cookers doing fine and hanging on at about 250 right now (started about 2.5 hours ago). I'll post pics when I have some.

I justed started curing a pastrami and canadian bacon for smoking in a few days after my oldest brother arrives in town. I also will be smoking a turkey for the occasion and trying out a smoked turkey and lentil soup recipe with the leftovers.

JimK,

Nice looking ribs there aye.

Josh

Kids are in town from SLC so we had a delayed Christmas dinner and did this last night. Turned out great! Had Ed C. and his wife over, had a great evening as always. Gravy was awesome!!!

I just put a Jenny O 10.81lb. Turkey on over lump and apple wood. I injected the bird last night with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter and fresh squeezed juice from one orange.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Kids are in town from SLC so we had a delayed Christmas dinner and did this last night. Turned out great! Had Ed C. and his wife over, had a great evening as always. Gravy was awesome!!!

Larry, great look turkey. DO you care to share how you made your gravy? I have a feeling wine is some how added. Thanks.

Erik

Another gorgeous bird!! Nice work, Bryan.

Erik: I can vouch for the gravy method Larry mentioned. I used almost that exact method for my Thanksgiving turkey. Most at the table said it was the best gravy they've ever had.

Originally posted by JimK:
Erik: I can vouch for the gravy method Larry mentioned. I used almost that exact method for my Thanksgiving turkey. Most at the table said it was the best gravy they've ever had.

Jim, how traditional does the gravy with wine taste? Are we talking full fledge wine flavor or gravy with possible sweet undertones?
My family, who thoroughly enjoy gravy from a package (which I refuse to make), processed american cheese, cookies that have been overly processed (as opposed to freshly baked cookies) would probably frown upon the gravy with wine but I am definitely interested.

Very nice bird Bryan. Lovely color.

Erik

I'd say it's a fairly traditional taste, with a twist. Not major though. I used a cheap Chardonnay that was hastily purchased. Next time, I'll spend a bit more time and look for a Chard that's rich and buttery. I imagine a Riesling might work to give it some sweetness if that's what you want. Frankly, that gravy will turn out well, with or without wine, IMHO.

Erik,

I use a variety of gravies with wine and if you cook it with the right proportion, I taste as I go, you can get a gravy that has another level of richness and flavor that would otherwise not be there.

I like to use depending on the gravy some burgundy-style wine or dry vermouth as a flavoring agent. I really like a beef gravy with burgundy and mushrooms. My wife and I really likes that served over spatzle. Hard to beat.

Best of luck.
Josh

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Awesome looking birds !!
icon_cool.gif
Bryan, what temp did you smoke yours at?

Bill
Bill, good question. Here's what I did. I fired up about a 1/2 chimney of leftover lump and dumped that on to about a 1/4 full bowl of lump. Only a 11lb bird so I knew it would be a quick cook, no reason to fill the bowl full of coal. I dumped the lit on and placed 5 chunks of apple on top of the lit put WSM together(bird was already on the top grate with a Neu-Temp probe in it.) and let the lid hang off a little. Came in and set the timer for 10 min. Timer went off and placed the lid on right. Tel-Tru in the lid was reading 260º at that point and went back inside. I watched the temp from inside using the Neu-Temp, and when the alarm went off at 160º, I went out and took off the bird. Tel-Tru was reading 335º at the end of the cook. All vents open the whole cook. So prob around 300º average I'd say. It was a no fuss cook.
icon_smile.gif

Back