What are you paying for your butt?

While in Wal Mart Super Store trying to find non existent Tender Quick, I looked at their butts which were $1.35 a pound. They were enhanced with a 5% solution, and their pork Tenderloins were enhanced with a 12% (yikes) solution. Too much for my taste. I'd rather pay a little more for less solution, if that makes any sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
I'd rather pay a little more for less solution, if that makes any sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it makes a ton of sense, why pay them for broth/water/solution/whatever. I like to think that I get to do the enhancing with my rubs and smoking.

I'll be doing my first two butts tomorrow night for an all-nighter. First all-nighter too.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I pay $0.99 per pound at my local supermarket. I have a card for the resturant supply, but it's more convient and at only $0.99 per pound a good deal to buy right here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
While in Wal Mart Super Store trying to find non existent Tender Quick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jane, if you have a Safeway there, go to the shelves that have Morton salt and all the other salts. Look on the very bottom shelf of the salt section. That's where I've always found it.

As far as butt prices go, if I watch for sales I can get .99/lb a couple times a year. Costco goes for $1.39/lb but they are always boned. They store I like to get the rest of my meat from usually gets $1.79/lb if you get two in a cryo.

Griff

Our Safeway does not carry it. I called every store in town. They used to, as did many stores, but it was pulled for some reason.

Just saw shoulder at .69 a pound at western beef. Question I have is, whats the difference between that and butt and picnic, and which is better for pulled port?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norman Stein:
Just saw shoulder at .69 a pound at western beef. Question I have is, whats the difference between that and butt and picnic, and which is better for pulled port? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
a whole shoulder is the butt and the picnic. personally i like butts for pulled pork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Norman Stein:
Just saw shoulder at .69 a pound at western beef. Question I have is, whats the difference between that and butt and picnic, and which is better for pulled port? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Norman - around these parts (ny metro), I've found the term shoulder to be used very loosely. As Brian mentioned, technically, it's the whole butt and the picnic both. But it is usually used for either the picnic or the butt, since I've found it rare to see a whole shoulder (which, I believe, would be a fresh ham).

I agree that butts, if choosing between picnics and butts, do better pulled pork. But it is only marginally so and I usually find picnics about 1/4 the price of butts. So that is what I do. The yield of finished meat is slightly higher in butts, due to the very large bone in picnics. But, picnics are great for Puerto Rican (pernil) and Mexican (cochinita pibil) dishes too, so I buy them often.

You know a picnic from a butt from the shape. Butts are generally rectangular. Picnics are triangular and are most commonly sold with a big portion covered in thick skin.

ahhh, thanks for the clarification.

I've gone out many times looking for butt (hehe) but never find any, guess its the area i'm in.

If there is only a marginal difference then i'll use the picnics, at that price i'd be a fool not to.

Question though, do you trim all that fat/skin off before smoking?

I've tried picnics a few times last year and haven't been happy with the results, they seem to come out too dry all the time even though I shoot for a 190 internal temp.

Personally, I don't trim the fat off anything. That's my favorite part! It tastes the best and melts in your mouth.

Norman -

If I'm doing pulled pork, then I take off the skin because I'll get twice as much bark as I would have if I hadn't. And I like bark. But if I'm doing pernil or some sort of a roast where I want crackling, then I'll keep it on.

There is definitely part of the picnic that is a little leaner than the rest of the butt. But most of it is the same as the butt, so a little of the leaner stuff added in has never affected mine drastically. But... that's just me. Most certainly, a butt is the more common and more failsafe cut. That said, for the reason you specify (cost) I almost always do picnics...

You are in Ridgewood Long Island, right? For what it is worth, I used to always go by a c-town on rockaway blvd near JFK that sold picnics for 50 cents a pound...

good luck!

Was at BJ's wholesale today in central va. 1.29/lb for butt, and .99/lb for picnic. I can't remember it not being those prices for there. Although I did have a brain fart and didn't check to see if the had new or old kingsford.

Tom

I just loaded up in the last 2 days because our local Shop Rite in Emerson NJ had them boneless tied up for .89/lb. Picked up 11 of them. Sizes from 5 to 7lbs (mostly around 6lbs). They are impossible to get here in the summer. I went to my local butcher for the same reasons you mentioned and paid $18.50 for a butt that was around 5lbs. Got ripped once never again. I don't mind paying more at a butcher but that was nuts. This guy could have made a good customer that day. Now I pick up the phone at the super market and ask!

Food For Less (Ralphs' downscale store) had twin packs of "boneless pork shoulder" for $0.99 a couple weeks ago. Average weight was about 15 pounds for the two pack.

I wish I could find some good all-natural free range organic pork for under $3/lb.

Back