What are ya cookin for Game Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lewis

TVWBB Super Fan
I have an ex-Raider for a neighbor who has invited me over to watch the game on his big screen (read that HUGE screen) TV. I think some pulled pork sandwiches and ABTs are in order. I'll cook the butt on Saturday (or overnight Friday) and reheat for the game and do the ABTs just before game time.

I'm headed to the store to get 3 racks of baby backs for me and my wife. I plan on trying the "Bourbon Glazed Ribs" from Smoke & Spice. I'm gonna smoke'em for 5-6 hours and be very anal about keeping the temp at 225
------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Local grocery store has pork shoulder for .59 lb. I've done butts but never shoulder. I'm sure it's one of those water "enhanced" jobs but I'm going to give it a try anyway.

Tring Mr. Brown pork butt from Smoke and Spice. So far I've done beef ribs and salmon. I'm dying for Butt, Ribs, Brisket, and Turkey....I may do a brisket too if I can get one...

-matto

My first catering gig! I was asked to do pulled pork for the gang up at my local legion. They're expecting 100+ but some of the older folk will stick to fries and nibles so I'm doing 4, 10#ers and a bunch of ABT's and mushrooms as a surprise. Not gonna get to try sausage this weekend as planned but I'm psyched. Made a double batch of rub and two sauces on the go now. If you don't love the passion of BBQ then go wash your socks! -whatever that means. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Dave

Bruce, I can't even write the description you used about stuff leakin -it offend's my manly nature. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But seriously I haven't had a problem with my ABT's. I pick large jalaps, cut 'em in half, remove the seeds, leave the veins, mess with the cream cheese until it say's "Uncle!" (spices, sauces, diced chorizo and the like) and just fill the jalaps to the top. Maybe add some more meat (left over pulled pork) on top and press some bacon on to seal 'em. I have never needed tooth picks. If you put 'em on the grill upside down I hear your hooped! They leak all over.
All the best Bruce and do mess with 'em they will win you friends and give you serenity...ohmmmm
Dave

I have the butt end of a beef tenderloin that I think will be going under the dome for Sunday, with some rub and a few chunks of mesquite. I figure 275-300 for a couple of hours should do it.

Bruce.....

Try using Proscuitto ham. I use it instead of bacon on these and also scallops.

As for the Super Bowl...doing Cajun feast...I get to use all my new iron I got for Xmas! Crawfish Etouffee, Seafood Gumbo, Corn Maque Choux and sweet cornbread.

Got 10 couples and a dozen kids coming over. The kids will eat hot dogs so leaves us biguns with lots to eat. These folks have eaten my BBQ so many times I told them let's try something different. I made up some andouille sausage last weekend, so I'm sorta getting the BBQ stuff in there.

Anyway, have fun, all!

No BBQ here either. I will be making Indonesian chicken,shrimp kebobs, and veggie kebobs, dungeness crabs witha garlic and ginger sauce , spicy eggplant in a mushroom cap, and a home made pecan pie to finish it all off.

Cooking spare ribs for the game; nothing uncommon, but the schedule has been such that I haven't done much cooking in the past six months.{frown} I'm planning to cook two rubs, a version of BRITU (for the faint of tongue), and my "significantly warmer" recipe which uses mostly ground peppers.
A buddy of mine recently bought a big-screen digital TV, so I proposed that I'd bring the ribs if he'd bring the TV!{LOL}
Time permitting, I'll also do a batch of ABTs and maybe some olives.

So.....who's going to win?

-- Ken

Was it just me or was anyone able to make heads or tails of what Dave was saying in his last post? Was that north of the border talk?

Dave L.,

Well it was 10pm and it sounded to me that perhaps Dave had one too many of those "Canadian Pops". I'm sure once he sobers, oops /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif , wakes up, he'll read that and have no clue what he was trying to say. Either that, or it's some secret Canadian code, which he could tell us about, but then he'd have to kill us. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm heading for SC early Sunday morning for a week of wading the swamps along the Savannah River hunting feral hogs with the bow and arrow. Taking along brisket, pulled pork NC style (already cooked), a killer moose stew with home canned tomatoes, and an 18 pound sugar-brined ham that is still in the smoker, but up to 150 internal now. Fixins, too, like buttermilk cornbread, Tidewater cole slaw, etc.

The hunting is non-competitive, but the cooking ain't. Each of my buddies, except for Lew, brings something to outdo the rest. Lew brings ramen noodles, sardines and soda crackers. He's there only to hunt and don't know nothing else.

I'll be doing either baby-backs, or a brisket, or fried chicken. more than likely, I'll be doing all 3.
Looking forward to a great game and food coma!
HJP

Pork fat rules! I'll be loading up the bullet with 2 pork shoulders. Just now trying to decide on the rub...

Kelly

I agree with Kelly, pork fat's gonna rule here too.

Got an 8.5 lb picnic I'm loadin' up this eve, already slathered with mustard and rub.

Woo hoo!

deep frying a turkey. will also fry up some home made chips - regular tater, sweet potater, and corn tortilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back