What are some good store bought rubs?

dean

TVWBB Pro
I am going to stop making my own rubs for the most part. I was wondering if you all can recommend some decent rubs online or store bought.
I like rubs with just some heat but not a lot of heat. I cook brisket, ribs, and pork butts...
Just getting tired of having full cup boards of every thing and want to simplify things!

I have only bought one rub in the past and it was Oakridge BBQ. If you go to their site they have a sample offer that can't be beat. I will probally order some more.

Personally though, most all ingredients for rubs and sauces are staples for my kithcen and I can't imagine not having the stuff on hand for all the other cooking.

Check out the Dizzy Pig line of rubs. Best commercial rubs i have found to date. I have been wanting to try some of Penzey Spice blends that get high marks on this board. Maybe some of those guys will chime in.

Paul

I love Marys Cherry--very good on poultry.
Food Lion used to carry a brand that had a picture of a bumblebee on it that was pretty good. McCormicks bought them out and has yet to offer a similar product--oh well!!!

Ben

I recently did a big pork butt cook for a church party, and based on advice from this forum I picked up a bottle of John Henry's Pecan Rub. I got the regular, although there was a hot version also. Really liked it, it is the only time I've used a commercial rub.

I am going to stop making my own rubs for the most part. I was wondering if you all can recommend some decent rubs online or store bought.
I like rubs with just some heat but not a lot of heat. I cook brisket, ribs, and pork butts...
Just getting tired of having full cup boards of every thing and want to simplify things!

I know what you mean. We came to much the same conclusion once realizing how much stuff we have to have on hand to make rubs. I met this guy on another forum and he was kind enough to send me a sample of his rub. We've never used anything else, as it's really good on everything. Has a nice bite but not enough heat to turn our guests off. You could always add some heat if you needed it but I think you'd like his general purpose rub.

His website is: http://www.madhunkymeats.com/html/meatrub.html

Penzy's has some good rubs. I like Uncle Bob's Rib Rub for dry ribs. Daddy's BBQ Sweet Love is pretty good, too.

Last edited:

Back