What about Kingsford?

G

Been out of touch for awhile but the last discussion I recall was the debate about Kingsford's new formula. Has everyone adapted to it or is there an alternative brand?

Thanks-

I've adapted and really don't see any major issues. Maybe starting with a few less lit. I don't see big issues in burn time, ime.

Paul

Kingsford works good for me. I use lump in my pull behind for the extra heat but for my bullet and kettle, Kingsford is what I use.

I came onboard about the same time as new Kingsford, so never even had to adapt. Kingsford seems to work well and burns long enough to cook almost anything.

For MM starts, I just fill the ring, put som lit on top and put the WSM together... water meat, everything. Usually takes an hour or so to have a stable cooking temperature. During a very long cook, 26lb chuck roll, I added between 30 and 40 briquettes after 18 hours. I didn't do anything fancy even then. Stirred the coals a little to encourage some of the ash to drop thru the grate and then just tossed the unlit through the side door. The temp picked back up within about 45 minutes.

I've been using new Kingsford with the MM with good results, just lots of ash. I don't even pre-light coals to go on top anymore - I just hit the top of the full charcoal ring with the weed burner until I have a good catch going in the center of the ring, and it works great. Love that weed burner...
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C

With Kingsford I think you trade high ash for the convenience of consistency. It makes a hell of a lot of ash. I still use it.

I've been using Walmart's Sam's Choice to great success. I had always resisted buying it as it is made by Royal Oak and I have never liked their briquets but got some when they were out of K-Ford. It lasts a long time and doesn't have the weird ammonia smell you get when starting Kingsford. I actually like the new Kingsford for low-and-slow but hate it for grilling. It gets hotter than lump for about 10-20 minutes and then drops a couple of hundred degrees. I emailed them and their answer was that I should forget about pre-heating my cooking grates and put my food on earlier. Has anyone else noticed a difference for high-temp grilling?

Back