WGC lump v. WGC briquettes

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
Wicked Good Charcoal lump (Weekend Warrior Blend) has gotten some pretty great reviews here and on other websites (nakedwhiz.com)...I personally use it and won't switch unless I am compelled to do so.

However, this weekend I caught a bag of WGC 100% All Natural Hardwood Briquettes. They are made from the same lumpwood as their Warrior Blend but are in briquette form and held together with a natural binder. Anyone ever use these? Are they comparable to the lump?

As I said, I like lump, but sometimes the larger pieces found in lump serve me no good - especially since I have to hatchet the pieces. Since most of my cooks are short, I have no need for larger pieces of lump that will last me hours. I figured these briquettes might be a good alternative...

Thoughts?

Tim, I can certainly appreciate the convenience of briquettes, and use them for both lighting my wsm ring and grilling. However, I'd rather use lump in my bullets, and specifically WG lump in my big bullet over anything else. Maybe Ozark or Royal Oak lump for the grill or small bullet? Never used the WG briqs.

I found them to be similar to stubb's briquettes. They were burned well and didn't have the kingsford funk. That being said, I think all briquettes are pretty similar in performance, with the exception of kingsford and it's odor.

I don't think it is possible for any briquette to perform similarly to lump. Too many binders and fillers needed to hold them together and release from their molds, which affect burn time due to ash build-up.

I have used both and have both. The WGC briquettes do have a lot more ash than the WGC lump, but the ash is less than Stubbs and K. For long cooks, I use lump due to the extremely little amount of ash from the WGC lump. For shorter cooks or my performer grilling, I use my remainder of WGC briquettes or Stubbs.

Bump...looking to buy a bag for the 4th. Anyone ever use the natural briquettes over the lump?

Yes, WGCB are light in weight (unlike stubbs), the ash is more lump like than what usually comes from briquettes. I like everything about them except one thing- they are made of the dust from the lump and use a natural binder...so they fall apart easily. It's hard to reuse the charcoal as it's too fragile. There is also a little sparking but not much.

I've got an unopened bag left if anyone wants to try them. If all factors where the same I'd reach for a bag of k comp before these. That said they're a good charcoal.

Back