WGA - GrillGrates don't fit due to the lid hanger, notching the grates voids the warranty?

Thanks Brad, yes I did get the reply, that if I pay to ship them back y'all will issue a refund. I appreciate that. I decided to keep them since by the time I pay for return shipping I'm in deep enough to use them on another grill.

My frustration is, and granted this is a sample size of only two grills, but my older 2013 WGA gas and newer 2019 WGA charcoal both have lids that are held open by the crown of the grate itself. Your website says that there may be lid tab interference, but that can send people down a slippery slope of cutting an access notch for the tabs (easy to notch) then finding out it's in fact the crown of the grate itself blocking the lid (difficult to notch)

Respectfully I really strongly disagree about a loose fit being a good thing, particularly with charcoal. The more you can control airflow via the top vents the better. The gap in the lid opening means the top vents have to be closed up for the same temp, which is not ideal for charcoal. It also means you can't seal up the grill to snuff out the charcoal.

Ultimately, I do understand the frustration and complications of making parts while also dealing with an OEM making changes out of your control. I think you are all handling this well. But you might want to add that the grate top itself might hold the lid open or that some custom fitting may be required. It would've been a lot easier to make some notches before I "seasoned" them and discovered the interference.

Jacob, could you post some pics of how it holds the lid up please. I m not getting the picture in my mind of what you are describing. Getting too old I guess.
Thanks, Richard.

The holders are tabs at the long ends of the lid and they allow the lid to hang on the lip of the base when the lid pivots open along the long side.

Last edited:
Jacob, could you post some pics of how it holds the lid up please. I m not getting the picture in my mind of what you are describing. Getting too old I guess.
Thanks, Richard.

Sure see attached. Basically, the grillgrates are tall enough to where the "rails" won't allow the lid to completely close. I took this pic ducking down, it's enough to where you can see inside the grill. If you're standing up the lip of the lid hides it.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
Sure see attached. Basically, the grillgrates are tall enough to where the "rails" won't allow the lid to completely close. I took this pic ducking down, it's enough to where you can see inside the grill. If you're standing up the lip of the lid hides it.

thanks Jacob. That is a lot of gap. Defeats the use of vents to control the temps. I cannot see that anyone would find that acceptable. Fine for hot and quick grilling without the top on but you would have to switch to the original grate for any slower cooks.

thanks Jacob. That is a lot of gap. Defeats the use of vents to control the temps. I cannot see that anyone would find that acceptable. Fine for hot and quick grilling without the top on but you would have to switch to the original grate for any slower cooks.

Correct. Which is why I'm so annoyed that the grillgrates site states that the lid tabs might cause interference. That's an easy notch out fix. However to make the grates effectively work is going to require a lot of grinding off the edges of the tops of the rails so that the lid will sit flat. Both my newish charcoal GAW and older gas GAW have the exact same gap.

The holders are tabs at the long ends of the lid and they allow the lid to hang on the lip of the base when the lid pivots open along the long side.
That is only part of the issue. My frustration is not interference for the tabs - I already notched out the grates to clear them. The problem is that the rails themselves hold the lid open. This is a far more complicated thing to correct - basically have to notch out 1/4" square from every single rail. Or, I can pay $15 to ship them back for a refund.

I have purchased grill grates for my early GGA and have found the same issue. My lid hooks do not foul on the grates, but the grates themselves are wider than the opening in the lid, so the entire lid is raised up and the legs do not close with the grates installed.

I have seen this mentioned a few times in the past in Facebook groups, but for the most part they are reviewed as a necessary purchase.
I feel it is horribly unsatisfying that the company hasn't chamfered the grates or addressed this issue in any way apart from saying "check measurements before purchasing this item" only on their website but not on any other retailers. When an item is being sold for use on a particular grill I am assuming it will fit that grill.
Simply offering a return and refund is lousy.

I do have the means to modify the grate to fit, but then I am left with a bare aluminium edge.

I am quite bitter about this issue and will express my regret with this purchase whenever I get the chance.

Dang... I was thinking of getting a GA and buying these. Since they cost as much as the grill itself I would expect them to be perfect. Sounds like they are far from, not buying.

Dang... I was thinking of getting a GA and buying these. Since they cost as much as the grill itself I would expect them to be perfect. Sounds like they are far from, not buying.

There are a couple nice alternatives, but pricey.

Rcplanebuyer makers some very nice stainless steel ones, you can request that he split them in half for easy storage.

And KillaGrilla makes a nice stainless steel one as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these......I've got my eye on them for my GA.

There are a couple nice alternatives, but pricey.

Rcplanebuyer makers some very nice stainless steel ones, you can request that he split them in half for easy storage.

And KillaGrilla makes a nice stainless steel one as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these......I've got my eye on them for my GA.
Thanks for that.. I was actually thinking of cutting one side bigger than the other for offset cooks. I see some make a charcoal basket out of an old bread pan with holes in it. It would be perfect to have 2/3 grate and 1/3 open. Or maybe cut the stock grate in thirds? Anyone tried this?

Old thread but add me to the list of new GG owners with the lid problem. This is a brand new in 05/2022 grill that is flawless in any visible way. I'm quite sad.

Old thread but add me to the list of new GG owners with the lid problem. This is a brand new in 05/2022 grill that is flawless in any visible way. I'm quite sad.
It's not just you. There are a couple of problem areas that interfere with the lid closing completely, and GGs are not suited to the GA if that is your intent. I am fortunate in having the tools to make the changes needed...I bought the individual pieces and machined them to fit. Maybe you can return them to GG if you're not happy?

Note that, even with all the machine work, the height of the grate side is enough to contact the lid hook. The lid will still close completely, though, and I didn't want any bare aluminum on the cooking surface so I left it. GG should have used the lower height grate like the ones made for the Foodi and Ninja.

1655258361314.png

This is what I ended up doing:

Last edited:

Back