Well, my 2019 season finally begins

Just a quick update on the first grill of the season. I have it all tore down and most of it cleaned up. I just need to throw a couple coats on the frame, end caps and fire box. But, with the temps struggling to hit 50, it might be a while. I still have to take the angle grinder and wire cup brush to the burners, but that wont be a big deal. That should be all the grinding I have to do. I have mad the final decision to not grind out the inside of the fire box or end caps. Then, I have a set of 16ga SS flavorizer bars. I have to decide between the Quilitmetal and Uniflasy for the grates or I could clean up a set of SS stamped steel used grates. What would you guys do with the grates?

Oh, on a side note, I replaced the fuel shut off solenoid on my riding mower and that solved the hard starting problem. Yahhhhhh!!! Now I am ready for the snow to be gone and the grass and trees to start greening up.

And yah, it didn't take long for the first injury of the season to occur. I cut my left index finger on the first knuckle pretty good with the razor blade when cleaning the inside of the lid. Sure to be one of many over the next 5 or 6 months. The worst part is trying to hide it from the wife.

Last edited:
Bruce,
A lot depends on whether you can clean up the stamped stainless grates to look shiny without having to pour too many hours into it. If they are shiny and not blotchy I think a lot of buyers would actually respond favorably. If you went that route, you could still offer the Qulimetal grates as a $25 or so upgrade option.

I haven’t tried to restore a set of those since before joining this group. Back then, I was stuck with sand paper and oven cleaner. I wonder how an angle grinder wire brush and Dawn or the Sams equivalent would do on them?

Jon, I would be cautious of using the wire wheel on the stamped steel grates. In my experience, many times the welds break on them just from normal use. An angle grinder and wire cup brush might tear them apart. In fact, the set I have in the shed might even have a broken weld or two.
I may try various cleaners with some kitchen type steel wool though.

I still have to get all my parts and supplies out. I have been working with limited supplies so far.

Wow, I just checked and they are saying 60 degrees and cloudy on Wednesday but no rain. That might be good enough for me to shoot some paint and finish up my first grill already. Then, I have to decide between a Q320, Q200, Q120, a Silver A greenhead and a Silver B for my second project. I am thinking I should stick with the Silver series as the portable grill season is still a ways off up here.

Last edited:
Jon, I would be cautious of using the wire wheel on the stamped steel grates. In my experience, many times the welds break on them just from normal use. An angle grinder and wire cup brush might tear them apart. In fact, the set I have in the shed might even have a broken weld or two.
I may try various cleaners with some kitchen type steel wool though.

I still have to get all my parts and supplied out. I have been working with limited supplies so far.

Those are valid concerns. I just know when I used oven cleaner and even sand paper it was a really hard thing to make a well-used set of those look shiny again. And even with a lot of work I could only get the tops down to clean stainless. Maybe something else will work better without risking breaking them apart. I think one reason these fell out of favor is that they look really nice out of the box, but are impossible to keep clean. I even think the older porcelain plated regular steel did better at that.

Maybe I will fire up the angle grinder and risk destroying a set just to find out. I will post back if I do that.

As always, nice work on that grill! That blue hood should help sell it sooner rather than later I would think.

I didn't do the full grind out of the inside the box and I kept my price at about what I was pricing them last year. I am hoping I can still move them OK without going through the ordeal and mess of grinding out the inside of the cook boxes. This will be a good test.

That is really sharp. That particular style of Silver B looks just a touch more modern than the 2000-2002 units, and the blue really goes well with it. Hard to say for sure, but in my opinion the fact that you didn't grind out the bottom of the firebox shouldn't matter at all. It looks clean, and everyone knows it's a used grill anyway.

I am hoping I can still move them OK without going through the ordeal and mess of grinding out the inside of the cook boxes. This will be a good test.
Just a thought - I didn't even notice the fact that you didn't grind out the box until I got to the picture with the grates & flavorizers removed (the shot of the burners). If you have any trouble, I wonder if simply omitting the 6th and 7th picture would help? It would call a bit less attention to literally the only part of the grill that doesn't look brand new.

Looks great. No need to grind out that box. As was pointed out earlier this week, the
average used grill buyer isn't examining every nook and cranny like us here would.
Going one further, the average used grill buyer doesn't even have a clue what color
the inside of the box is supposed to be. As long as it is fairly consistent, it should be fine.

I have a guy driving up from Illinois tomorrow morning to pick it up. From his facebook page, it looks like he is a State Policeman. He said he is coming from Rockford, IL. I am going to ask if he knows Larry!!!! hahahaha.

Way to go, Bruce! Looks like grinding wasn’t necessary to get a good sale. Making that trip I think he knows what he wants, so good luck and time to push out the green heads!

Yep, thanks Jon, I was happy to only have to use the grinder to clean up the burner tubes. I already have the Silver B green head torn down to parts and much of it cleaned up already. Of course, the parts left are the lid, end caps and fire box. But, the weather is turning bad again and it doesn't look like I will have much opportunity to work for about another week. I might get some decent working weather Monday, but then we have 5 days of rainy weather on tap before Spring like weather returns next weekend.

That is really sharp. That particular style of Silver B looks just a touch more modern than the 2000-2002 units, and the blue really goes well with it.

I personally have always liked those late Silvers. I think those or the “classic” Genesis (1-5, x000) look the best. Nothing against the earlier Silvers, but they seem like a transitional design as Weber was trying to adapt to changes in marketplace taste. I thought it all came together for them in the last version like this one Bruce posted. Looks like someone agrees, because it seems to have sold lightning fast:cool:!

Well let's hope he doesn't know me LOL. They just had a huge tragedy in his "house". They work out of district 15 in Freeport. They just lost one of their own. One of them was helping out a stopped semi right near their district office and another semi went off road and hit her. Killing her just a couple days ago. It was a real mess. Huge fire and all

I personally have always liked those late Silvers. I think those or the “classic” Genesis (1-5, x000) look the best. Nothing against the earlier Silvers, but they seem like a transitional design as Weber was trying to adapt to changes in marketplace taste. I thought it all came together for them in the last version like this one Bruce posted. Looks like someone agrees, because it seems to have sold lightning fast:cool:!

I agree Jon, those last couple years of the Silver B/C grills were the best of the Silver series. The real wood years of the Genesis X000 grills was the best of that run as well.

Well let's hope he doesn't know me LOL. They just had a huge tragedy in his "house". They work out of district 15 in Freeport. They just lost one of their own. One of them was helping out a stopped semi right near their district office and another semi went off road and hit her. Killing her just a couple days ago. It was a real mess. Huge fire and all

Larry, I think the guy said he lived in Belvedere, IL. But his little FB Messenger ICON from his FB Page shows an IL State Police Logo. He just kind of sounds like a Cop on the phone as well. I am going to throw in a free Weber Tank Cover for him and I am giving him a great deal on a NIB Weber cover as well. But, I have to get out to the shed and dig through my mound of stuff to find them.

Belvidere is the next town east of us. It's where the Jeep Cherokee is currently made though now it seems like perhaps FCA is beginning to shut that plant down and shift production to Mexico. Already over 1300 jobs have been displaced/lost there. If he is a state trooper I know you'll treat him well............PS don't tell him where I live. Last time I looked at my photo in the post office it stated "location unknown" so I want to keep it that way :D

Yah, the grill is on it's way to Illinois. He is a 15 year guy and works in the Animal Control division. Larry, I didn't bring up your name, but he did mention the cop that lost their life a couple days ago. Very nice guy and he seems quite happy with his "new to him" grill. Mentioned the fact that he wanted a Weber but didn't have $800 to spend and was considering rehabbing one but when he saw mine figured he could better use his time on other spring time projects.

Back