Well it happened again.

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Well it happened again, this is the second time I’ve done a pork loin and it came out dry.
The first time on the performer indirect, this time I used my 20 year old silver 1000 gasser and I do know how to run that puppy after 20 years. I used a Weber recipe that called for a light brine and a glaze, because I’m on a low to no salt diet I did not do the brine. The cook called for a low/medium direct cook which I did. I used my old standby rib rub and the glaze the recipe called for which worked out well. I pulled the roast at 144 degrees and used one digital and two analog thermometers to make sure the internal temp was correct. I let it rest while the acorns finished for about 10-15 minuets then sliced it.
As you can see in the pictures no pink at all, I can’t pull them any earlier as 140 is the safe temp. Yep it was dry just like the first one. The only thing in common was this loin was the second half of the first. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any and all suggestions

Got the pork loin
porkloin006_zpsfa77edd2.jpg

Got the grill
porkloin007_zpsb724a0e1.jpg

Guard dog on left
porkloin008_zps13b7609a.jpg

Guard dog on right
porkloin009_zps110f6bbb.jpg

Lets cook
porkloin014_zpsbd4a2007.jpg

Acorns on
porkloin018_zps3952e33e.jpg

Nooooooooooooooo! another dry roast!
porkloin019_zps6c3c9775.jpg

Eat it anyway
porkloin026_zps0ef2cc5e.jpg

I pull before 140*, usually low 130*s and wrap in foil and let sit for 10-15min. The carry over cooking will allow the temp to climb to 140+.

However pork loin is a pretty lean cut, it could be you got a very lean one and did 2 cooks with it. Your pics look good, don't indicate any issues for me.

Looks good to me!!!
I pull my pork loin at 145 and they always come out moist.... Try a different butcher maybe?

I'm with JonE - pull a little early as far as temp goes. The pork temps will increase about 5-10 degrees when wrapped in foil, and the foil will hold the juices for a more moist pork loin. You could let the foil-wrapped pork sit for an hour or more in a towel-lined cooler...just like a pork butt.

Rich;
I can't give you medical advice, but brining DOES help a LOT to retain moisture. I am now brining pork and always brine chicken. I can't say how much salt it adds to the diet, some one else will have to address that but I can vouch for the effectiveness in retaining moisture.

FWIW
Dale53

Regarding dry roasts, a quite big part of what we think is moist meat, is saliva. To produce this when we eat, salt is vital.
That's one of the reasons to salt food. No salt, no saliva.

It is possible to get used to lower amounts of salt in your food. Just stop buying read- made food, which is full of salt, and the body will adjust in a matter of weeks.
Maybe easier said than done, baking your bread, making your own lunch meats, no bags of ready- made sauces and so on, but it can be done. I know.

I have found that pork loins sometimes don't have very much moisture to retain. I usually serve with some type of sauce or gravy to add moisture and flavor.

Regarding dry roasts, a quite big part of what we think is moist meat, is saliva. To produce this when we eat, salt is vital.
That's one of the reasons to salt food. No salt, no saliva.

It is possible to get used to lower amounts of salt in your food. Just stop buying read- made food, which is full of salt, and the body will adjust in a matter of weeks.
Maybe easier said than done, baking your bread, making your own lunch meats, no bags of ready- made sauces and so on, but it can be done. I know.

Geir, I've got the no salt drill down to a science, almost homemade everything. Don't eat out anymore, no can anything unless "no salt". I don't struggle with it at all, by using fresh herbs and spices I can get all the flavor I want. This may as some have said been a very lean pork loin, both of these were almost jerky dry. I've done loins in the oven and pulled them at 140-145 and they've been great. I'll try another one to make sure it's not the process, hopefully the next one will be better.
Thanks
Rich

Thanks to everyone who responded you have given me some good ideas. injection, sauces, etc and I'll try pulling a little earlier. One thing the wife told me that I did not know before I posted this was these two were in the freezer for about three months, might be some freezer burn involved also. As winter approches we start to clear out the freezer to restock and somehow these got pushed to the back and as we started to clear out the freezer she noticed the date and pulled these first to use. I'll get a known fresh one and try again hopefully with better results.
Thanks again
Rich

Last edited:
Rich I believe you are on to it there, your process sounds perfect, I do pull mine at 135 and foil in a pan after I pull it for ten to fifteen minutes. That rest seems to make a difference. But being frozen for three months probably dried them out a little and they were probably already lean cuts.

I'm sorry, it was not my intention to imply anything, or to lecture. And i agree, pork loins can be very dry. Too bad that it can not be seen before they are done. :)

I'm sorry, it was not my intention to imply anything, or to lecture. And i agree, pork loins can be very dry. Too bad that it can not be seen before they are done. :)

Geir, no offense taken I didn’t take it as you were lecturing me, but just providing a suggestion as to what the problem may be. Going low/no salt is a hassle until you get used to it and that’s all I was implying.
My son came for a visit and every time he comes here he likes to go to a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant here, I reluctantly agreed and had just one taco, good grief I thought I would need a IV hooked up to a five gallon water bottle it was so salty to me.
So I guess I’m desalted now, but its funny I don’t miss it.

Rich

Back