Well, crud - no more charcoal BBQing until fall

Due to a very dry and unusually warm spring, our Department of Forestry declared fire season a bit early this year. Fire season typically starts sometime in the first half of July, but this isn't a typical year.

During fire season all burning is prohibited, including outdoor cooking fires using solid fuels. The Kettle and WSK will have to sit idle until the end of the season, which usually occurs sometime in October.

This is why we also have a Genesis. Doesn't taste as good as charcoal, but it's still better than cooking indoors!

Due to a very dry and unusually warm spring, our Department of Forestry declared fire season a bit early this year. Fire season typically starts sometime in the first half of July, but this isn't a typical year.

During fire season all burning is prohibited, including outdoor cooking fires using solid fuels. The Kettle and WSK will have to sit idle until the end of the season, which usually occurs sometime in October.

This is why we also have a Genesis. Doesn't taste as good as charcoal, but it's still better than cooking indoors!
Sorry to hear that Grant, a Genesis is better than nothing but, no, it does NOT match charcoal!
Stay safe buddy!

Blame it on El Nino, which is predicted to stay strong through the 23-24 winter. Nino typically means warmer and dryer for the PNW.

We are still in very wet mud season here in the Colorado mountains. Big snow year followed by a very wet May. So I should be able to get one big pork butt cook on the WSM before we get into dryer summer.

I pretty much only cook on the gasser in the mountains at this point. Too much cold and snow for 6 months. My neighborhood is surrounded by dense pine forest as far as the eye can see. So even if there's no official fire restrictions in place, I don't have the stomach to light up charcoal in July/Aug/Sept.

So my charcoal-ing is limited to just a few WSM cooks during shoulder seasons.

Last time I checked we were still okay with charcoal. No campfires or charcoal in the state and national forests.
That's why I have two gassers.
Because it's been dry as a bone here for the last few weeks, I'm sure our charcoal ban isn't too far away.

I’m about half day north of you Grant.
I just received an email the other day saying my county (Clallam County WA) is imposing a burn ban immediately.
We can still bbq and maybe have fire pits but we can‘t burn stick piles and yard waste.

It’s a shame that the few dummies ruin it for the rest of us.
When we burn or do aerial fireworks (over water) we soak the ground areas with portable sprinklers, don’t mess around on windy days, never leave a fire or embers unsupervised and all that stuff we learned in the Boy Scouts.

Oh well, I guess it is better than having a fire/smoke season again :sick:.

Back