Weird.

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Yesterday, I did a thorough cleaning of the WSM. I cooked on (I think) wednesday, and didn't clean the ashes out until fri. Anyway, I left the ashes in the charcoal grate. Then, on thursday and thursday night, it rained here (it NEVER rains here at this time of year...it was freaky). Anyway, some water got into the WSM and was in the charcoal bowl amongst the ashes. When I looked closely at it, and I know this is hard to believe, it was sizzling! There was absolutely no heat in the wsm at all. What I think happened, and I don't even know if this is possible, is that water filtered down through the ashes and created lye. I know it's possible, I mean, that's how they used to create lye, but I didn't think charcoal briquette ashes would be able to do it. But it's the only thing I can think of. Either that, or I'm seeing things!

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Just did a quick Google on soap making and the first thing you do is mix the ash from a wood fire (preferably oak) with rain water.

And we cook with this stuff ?????
icon_confused.gif

Al

Phil,

I have not had sizzle, but on one occasion, I had some Kingsford stored in a plastic trash can and did not get the lid closed tightly. Some rain water got onto the coals and when I opened the container a few days later, there was a lot (and I mean a lot) of heat coming from the damp coals. I did not detect any fire, but I believe it was possible for them to self ignite if I had not found them "smoldering". Since then I have been very careful about storing my briquettes.

Ray

Ray,

As your signiture says you are "queing and teeing in NC", you must be one excited guy right now for the open this week. Pinehurst #2 is my FAVORITE U.S. open course, not that I've played it. But it is FUN to watch players deal with those greens
icon_biggrin.gif

If you have tix, I think I will die of jealousy.

Phil,

Yes, it is Open Time in NC. No, I do not have tix but could have had them if I wanted them. A friend had 4 tix and offered them to his buddies.

My week is busy with daughter visiting (and she has asked for ribs) with 3 grand kids. I'll be doing a lot of smoking and grilling nest weekend.

Ray

I've discovered over the years that you can have ash or water in the bottom of your cooker, but not both. The combination creates a caustic, corrosive "china syndrome" sludge.

Back